Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

MEPC-159(55) New Sewage Discharge Regs

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Mariner-V, Jul 18, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Mariner-V

Mariner-V New Member

As many of you may know, the new IMO regs for year 2010 state much lower effluent standards for sewage discharge. Considering the engine room spaces on most larger yachts, say 96 footers and above, more space will be required for MSD units. Has anyone been using(or installed) an MSD that meets compliance to these new regs.?

Mariner-V
  2. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

Use to be in the business

It a very stinky touchy thing but more important than the engines if it breaks down
    Try F.A.S.T.
    Or I like Jetvac out of Toronto not to much bull and they want to meet your needs on a practical basis
    They have units that have meet regs you ask for, on the great lakes presently
    We have a 90 foot boat with Sealand vac systems that everytime he comes out to visit they want to change around to their vac system
    I think over the next 2 years i will refit and go with it as a start with a double redundacy vac system 110 v to a main collection point for treatment
    This won't be hard to do with their unit but were to put the treament tank
    You have to have it built into your boat hard The stuff you see at boat show in the seperate tanks are for boat that never leave dock
    And don't think you will be buying a black box were the water comes out 100% clean and drinkable it's going to be work to keep it going to spec
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

For those who don't know can you please explain who he and they are in the statement above? I don't want names just is it the Owner, toilet manufacturer etc

Where do you get this idea? They are for the most part designed for boats that have no treatment system to retrofit a system that will comply with the regulations. If a boat never leaves the dock surely it could stay hooked up to the dock system and not need any treatment system.

The bigger yachts and commercial ships uses systems with separate tanks not all are built into the hull, some mix the grey and black water together, some use a biological system to break the waste down.