Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service

Awlgrip painting costs and where you did it?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by MYCaptainChris, Jul 18, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

I'm going to be getting the yacht painted this year and wanted to here peoples experiences of different yards and the costs. Obviously the differing size of yacht and amount of work will vary but I'm very interested in work done in Florida.

Thanks all
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

We painted a good portion of the Curt C at Rybovich last year and I was very happy with the results.
    They came in on budget, on time, and the quality was great.
    Costs are irrelevant as they will vary depending on the job. Get quotes and hold the yard to them. Make sure that the quote encompasses everything (i.e. protection, hardware, etc.) and review the bill weekly.
  3. MYCaptainChris

MYCaptainChris Senior Member

Thanks Ken
    The last time I painted a boat in Florida was 5 years ago and I'm trying to figure what the difference in cost is now (if any???) by getting an average.

My last job ended costing $250,000 but did include alot of prep on the very wobbly hull!!!
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

I had my 46 Matthews here in Md. rolled and tipped last summer from the rail up. The job was done in my covered boat slip by an independent (mobile) guy working with 2 helpers. The job was very well done and quite economical. Capt. Ken knows this guy and we chatted here by PM about his work and experience. It turned out fine, and I was very pleased. I know he does work in Fl. If yours is a huge job, you will probably want a yard doing it as this approach may not work. PM me for the name and phone if you wish.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Rolled & Tipped

SeaEric,

Over here too we just tipped and rolled a 52' classic wooden boat using a mobile guy with 2 helpers. Wow what a good finish and a good price.

The next week the painter guy hauled his own newly bought classic 34' on to the hard ( it looked very 'used' ) within 5 days that sucker was back in the water. Those boys work. :D
  6. Randall

Randall Guest

Currently preping 50ft cat for Awlgrip paint, would be interested to hear of quotes for similar vessel.
  7. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

A caveat: I have heard of two recent paintjobs done by qualified painters with name-brand paint and the paint was found to be faulty. The paint mfg'er may or may not cover the labor as they do the paint. Ask questions.
  8. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

98' Broward, by Luu Marine, at LMC, $135,000, about 4 months ago.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I wonder if these are the same two I have been on and looked at recently.

Were they both newbuilds?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I managed a Searay that Luu Marine painted the hull on a year ago, was very dissappointed at how it turned out. They painted the hull 3 different times because the first two jobs were not good. The third job didn't have orange-peel, it had grapefruit peel. It was very piss poor, but the boat had to make a freightor and off it went. They charged $14k fror a 58 footer plus all of the yard fees (haul, launch,block, laydays)

I had Cable Marine do a 42' Regal hull (navy blue) about a year ago and it came out very nice and they did the job very very cheaply (less then $5k) but we were having a lot of other work done on the boat there.

I have seen and worked on several boats that Associated Marine Technologies(MarineMax ft. laud) did. They were all excellent jobs.
  11. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Yeah, well the owner shopped around and beat everybody up for the cheapest price and didn't want to pay any one, including me, to over see the job and then left town till the job was about done. So he got what he got. Which is an OK job and Luu has been pretty good about coming out and straighting out things.
  12. chrismlewis

chrismlewis New Member

Make sure which Awlgrip you are getting. They have been having huge problems with a new environmentally better mix that did not flow right so have had to go back to the old formula. Make sure you don't get the faulty stuff on the cheap!!
    This may not apply to the US; we were doing a refit in Palma.
    Also, be sure to include in the dockage costs etc - I remember a few years ago one of the Ft L yards throwing in the dockage if more than 8 hours a day were booked to the boat....
    Also yards will be more flexible on discounts in their quiet periods to keep things ticking over.
    We ended up doing one section in Jotun and I could not see any difference to be honest. I guess that longevity may be an issue though.
    The technical spec for the colour, gloss, dust particles per m2 etc should all be written down and/ or a test panel approved before the contract is agreed - this will help if the job does not come up to expectations.