Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service

Popping sound from hull. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by junglejim, Jul 3, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. junglejim

junglejim New Member

Hi all, when I lie in my cabin at night, I hear a popping sound coming from the hull below the watermark. It is strange. sounds a bit like someone snapping their fingers sharply spaced by a few seconds. It is a gentle sound but I can't figure out for the life of me what the hell it is. I can hear it everywhere when close to the hull.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, I have had it too in the Med. As I recall it was the Barnacles or fish trying to eat them who created the sound.
  3. goplay

goplay Senior Member

It is the sound, I believe, of shrimp. It totally baffled me when I first heard it.
  4. junglejim

junglejim New Member

You are winding me up surely lol! Are you serious? Constantly hear it though all day and night.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

It could have been shrimps too, I have forgot it now, but it had a natural source. I was living on a steelhulled yacht in Antibes and heard this sound often, maybe seasonal..?
  6. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

Snapping shrimp are
    an earful of activity

Sometimes, when my phones won't stop ringing, the leaf blowers are roaring and practically everyone I know needs a ride to the airport, I pack up my laptop and go hide on my sailboat in the Ala Wai Boat Harbor.

Below deck is another world. The boat rocks gently in its slip like a cradle, the water laps the hull -- and the shrimp wage war.

Well, that's what it sounds like some days. What the heck is going on down there, I sometimes wonder, to get those little guys so excited?

The underwater snap, crackle and pop sounds we commonly hear throughout the tropics are made by little shrimp bearing one enlarged front claw, which the shrimp can cock open. When the creature snaps the claw shut, it makes a loud popping noise and creates a little shock wave in the water.

Members of this large family are known as snapping shrimp or pistol shrimp. They grow from 1 to 2 inches long and snap for several reasons.

One is for food. In some species, the shock wave produced by the fast claw closure stuns plankton and passing fish. Other types of snapping shrimp crack small clams with their big claw.

Another reason shrimp snap is the same reason we humans sometimes snap: It's a warning to others to back off. Snapping both defines and maintains a shrimp's territory.

Snapping shrimp live in a wide variety of habitats in Hawaii and throughout the tropics.

Some live under rocks and rubble from the shoreline to about 40 feet deep. Another type, bright orange, lives in the spaces between the branches of cauliflower coral.

One species, called the petroglyph shrimp, makes branched channels up to 10 inches long on the surfaces of coral heads. These dark fissures resemble ancient Hawaiian petroglyphs and are easy to spot in places with large growths of encrusting corals.

A good place to see petroglyph shrimp homes is outside the reef at Hanauma Bay. Look carefully in the fissures and you will see clusters of tiny hydroids (jellyfish relatives) lining the edges of the burrows like armed guards. You will not, however, see the shrimp. Besides being almost colorless, they stay deep within the burrows where they farm and eat algae.

Pairs of male and female petroglyph shrimp excavate their burrows together but don't live together. The male has his own home, the female hers.

No one knows how these shrimp create furrows in coral, but some researchers believe it may be a chemical process.

Another interesting snapping shrimp shares a burrow with a small fish called a shrimp goby. The nearly blind shrimp excavates and expands passages in the burrow while the keen-sighted goby keeps watch.

You can see these busy shrimp pushing sand out of their tunnels like bulldozers while their gobies stands guard. The shrimp keeps tabs on outside happenings by holding one antenna in contact with its sentry's tail fin. When danger draws near, the fish twitches its tail and both creatures dart into the hole.

I don't know why snapping shrimp are sometimes subdued and other times go off like a popcorn factory. But I don't mind their noise. That kind of commotion, I enjoy.

Marine biologist Susan Scott writes the newspaper column, "Ocean Watch",
    for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, www.starbulletin.com
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

shrimps, barnacles, etc... some fish can be heard too... last month i stopped at a marina in Cape Ma NJ and the owner told us it was Black Drum season. they had a whole bunch some fishing charters had brough back, large ugly fish with very little meat, which makes a sound under water which you can often hear at the dock. didn't hear it though... but what you heard was definitely nature at work... not man made
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Years back, when I had my little tourboat in Lauderdale I get a reminder whenever it was time to clean my waterline. As I sat on the dock I'd hear slap, slap, slap, slap. It was what I called my hull suckers, actually Spade fish. They lay on their sides and slap their tails on the water to hold themselves in place while they dine in the grass, etc. at your waterline. Although they're kind of cute you may want to head the hint they're giving. It will improve your performance.:D
  9. Laurel

Laurel Guest

It's electricity eating the hull of the boat, or the ubiquitous fibermites. If I'm wrong, and that may have happened once, there is a hell of a shrimp feast happening ALL THE TIME in San Diego.