Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Another Stealth Tax or Bandwagon Jumper?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by K1W1, Jun 20, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I came across this company after hearing an ad on the radio that I thought was a spoof.

http://www.yachtcarbonoffset.com/

I would be pleased to read others thoughts and comments on this sometimes contentious issue.
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Wealth transfer.
    QED
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

As one who has been shutting lights when I left the room since the early 60's, and reusing anything plastic, glass or metal since almost that time just because it's wrong to waste I think this whole carbon offset thing is yuppie bunk although I guess whatever gets you there doesn't matter. I'm sure there's a tax write-off in this somewhere so what the heck.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

There is a new industry based on this CO2 hype, (or fraud?)

I heard an interview last week, where one of the researchers and writers of the IPCC report said that the raised temperature during the last decades before the millenium was mainly due to increased heat from the sun, not CO2. This was because there were less aerosols and clouds stopping the sun rays. This was mentioned in two chapters of the full report, but not at all mentioned in the Summary for Policymakers!

Since then the CO2 in the atmosphere has increased even further, without global temperature following. It has been flat or even down, both in the air and in the oceans.

There is therefore no real evidence of correlation between CO2 and temperature observed. It only exists in computer models trying to predict the future...
  5. goplay

goplay Senior Member

Trading carbon credits for industry makes sense but for a consumer, it makes very little sense and is mostly placebo.

It is like beating someone up and then giving to the hospital charity. You might feel better and some good can come from your donation, but someone still took a beating!
  6. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

K1W1. You asked.
    It's hype. I think it's just another feelgood deal. Cut a cheque and walk away.
    A man with the attitude of NYCAP123 makes a heck of a lot more sense to me. Just don't waste and we're all better off.

This does, of course, bring up other interesting revenue generating possibilities.
    $5.00 carbon credit coupon attached to every can of chili. Please detach the coupon, put it in an envelope with a cheque for $5.00 and you can pass wind absolutely guilt free. Now, where is Al Gore's address.....
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I think I probably have a 100 or so lightbulbs in my house. If anybody would care to pay me $5.00 per day I'll leave one of them off for each day per payment. I think I see the start of a successful business here. Oh wait, someone already started it. :D