Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander

Engine charging incompatability with solar panel

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by katieorielly, Jun 7, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. katieorielly

katieorielly New Member

:confused: I have a Volvo MD2040 which on start up wants to charge about 6 amps. But after fitting a solar panel (and controler) the charge from the engine is restricted to about 1 amp. Remove the solar panel and the low engine charge rate continues at about 1 amp. Stop the engine and remove the solar panel and the engine will then charge 6 amps. The engine generates a voltage of 14.2V, the solar panel on its own generates about 13.5V. How can I connect the solar panel so neither interferes with the other?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am not an electrician but I have a reasonable amount of electrical experience I would say that you need to separate the two charging devices from working at the same time.

You will need to fit a switch or relay that opens the charging circuit for the solar panel when the engine is running and closes when the engine is off.

I think what is happening here is you have the two voltage regulators fighting each other.

Maybe someone who has had the the same experience or a more in depth electrical knowledge can add to this thread.
  3. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The solar panel is interfering with the voltage regulator on the alternator of the Volvo. There are a few ways you can fix that. One is the isolator that someone mentioned and probably the easiest. The other is that you can install a diode I believe in line that cuts the current from the solar panel? Another would be a relay that you can wire so that when the motor is running it cuts the power from the solar panel line. Although I know a lot about electricity I am not a marine electrician.