Click for Cross Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger

What Is Weight Of Old MAN D1548m Engine

Discussion in 'Engines' started by david_japp, Jun 4, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

I own a vintage 1961 Van Lent “Tiky” (pka Alto Volante) that we are restoring. She originally had 2 x MAN 150HP model D1548M engines with large independent RENK gearboxes fitted. Sadly, as a result of lack of maintenance by the previous owners, both engines were in a terrible state and beyond economic repair, as were the RENK gearboxes, so we eventually replaced the MAN engines with 2 x Gardner 6LXBs and the Renk gearboxes with PRM 1000 2:1 reduction boxes.

The new Gardners - which are aluminium - & PRM gearboxes are much lighter than the original MAN & RENKs, which were disposed of. As a result, we are now floating a good 150mm higher than before, so we are now trying to work out how much extra ballast we have to carry - Renk have provided info re the old boxes but MAN don’t even respond to my emails .

Does anyone know what a MAN D1548M weighs? can anyone give me an estimate or put me in touch with someone who might know ?
    thanks
    David
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If it is a Van Lent of the same family as the ones in Kaag currently building Feadships I would think they would be able to give you that info from the archives.
  3. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

hi
    unfortunately the Feadship archive is very scant on the older vessels such as these and they can only supply very basic info
    thanks anyway
    best
    David
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

May I suggest that you load sandbags until you get the right level.
  5. david_japp

david_japp Senior Member

I could do that but it would only be a temporary solution which would mean a lot of work, especially if the bags split over time - what I want to do is get a good estimate of the weight difference and then get lead ingots of the right weight probably cast in the right shapes to sit nice and tight in the bilges .
    cheers
    David
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

David,
    That is absolutely a temp situation used only to determine how much weight and where you need, but it's easy and you'll have the answers you need in an afternoon. Then get the ingots or other ballast. BTW, that lead may be hard to get and move in the shapes you're talking about. Someone else on here may want to chime in on the dissimilar metals and alternatives.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It sounds like you need to add a considerable amount of weight. I would recommend adding weight that would be functional instead of just dead weight. Is it a problem for the vessel to be lighter for stability reasons? I would rather add either additional fuel tanks, water tanks, waste oil tank, clean oil tank, or something that could hold something useful instead of loading the vessel with lead if it's more then 500lbs of ballast. If the old Man engines are still available, take one of them in a truck to a weighing place and weigh the truck with and without the engine in it.
  8. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I ran into a problem with lead and aluminum. Solved the problem by applying a product called Amerlock to the lead. It is basically a paint-on rubber.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I don't know if you have any Dutch language skills or Dutch Friends who can help you but when I did a Google for your engine I came up with a Dutch Barge site where some of the barges seemed to be using this engine, I also came across a website in Spanish that seemed to be an engine re conditioner. You could maybe pursue this avenue.

A Naval architect should be able to tell you how much weight you need to drop her in another 150mm.
  10. CODOG

CODOG Senior Member

Makes sense, seems a shame not to capitalise on your new found power to weight advantage.
    If you have to add lead, another option is casting a lead shot and resin mix...its reasonably easy to make a mould (ply for example) to the shape / shapes required and you can do this yourself without the need to melt the lead. Ive seen rebar bent to form a lifting handle(s) cast in to ballast blocks too.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have shot an e mail to a guy I know who has access to MAN Data. He thinks he will be able to find out a reasonably accurate figure for the weight of one of these engines.

He is on a major sea trial at the moment so it might be a few days.
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Welcome to YF Cemberci.

The lists you posted all only refer to much later model engines than what he is looking for.

The engines he wants data on were new in 1961 probably quite a lot older than a number of the people reading and posting here.
  13. q240z

q240z New Member

I realize this is a year-old thread, but if I was in a position of needing to add weight to a boat and lead was one of the materials of choice, I'd make sure that it came in its own plastic container and included some sort of electrolyte (AKA batteries). Just keep adding those relatively inexpensive 6v golf cart deep cycle batteries until the waterline is where it's supposed to be. You'll have a house bank of biblical proportions and, with a modern smart charger and equilization as necessary, they should last a long, long time.