Click for Walker Click for MotorCheck Click for Perko Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Furuno

Hardtop Bimini

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by T.K., May 27, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

I would like to remove the original soft bimini on my Squadron and build instead a GRP hardtop bimini.......something like on the Westport yacht in the pictures attached (both boats have a similar radar arch in design). I have also attached some pictures of my Squadron for reference.
    I would like to do it professionally so it suits the Squadron well and will look like original. I am seeking a professional workshop or boat builder who can build this GRP hardtop and fit it to my boat. If someone can do it, then I would suggest he/she flies to Egypt at my expense for taking measurments and to discuss options, manufacture it and then send it back to Egypt for installation or if the manufacturer is in the Med. area, when the boat is in the Med. during summer, it can be installed at any destination.
    I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Tarek

Attached Files:

2. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Another picture of the Squadron from her rear........

Attached Files:

• 22.JPG
      22.JPG
      File size:
      54.9 KB
      Views:
  3. GrahamF

GrahamF Senior Member

Hi Tarek

Have you contacted Fairline to ask for some advice on what you want to do? I am sure the designers will be able to come up with something for you. The only problem i can see is that Fairline would not want to change their profile of their boats as they are high speed boats. Please keep us up to date it would be interesting to see what it would look like. Good luck with you project I wish I was qualified to help, I would not mind a trip back to Egypt.
  4. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Good morning Graham,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep you posted with all progress related to my bimini project.
    You are always welcome at any time in Egypt......it would be a pleasure to have you here with us.

Best regards,

Tarek
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I was going to suggest the same -refer to Fairline- but I see Graham's point very well. I also believe that if you get this done in the right and a professional manner that you would have an 'original 78 Squadron' that no one else has.

Tarek, I am going to give you another suggestion but I will PM you.
  6. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Thanks......PM received.
  7. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Tarek,

If memory serves me, the hardtop on the Westport 112' was not originally planned by the factory. One of their customers, a gent who owns a large cement/concrete manufacturing company in Florida, insisted on a hardtop for the boat, so Westport engineers came up a design that would integrate into the existing radar arch. Since then, most Westport buyers have opted for these hardtops.

You may be doing Fairline a favor! ;)
  8. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Excellent.......if I get it right we'll charge Fairline a fee if they want to adopt the idea ;).
  9. brunick

brunick Senior Member

err - your next boat may be a westport ? ;)
  10. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

You never know ;).
  11. nbyacht

nbyacht New Member

I will build it for you.
    e-mail removed by admin
    Dennis
  12. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Welcome to YachtForums ;).
  13. nbyacht

nbyacht New Member

Thank you. Good to be here.
    Dennis
  14. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Hmmm.......it would be nice if Westport can do it for me ;). I really like the design and the way it's integrated with the radar arch. I would only add an opening in the center with a sliding shutter.
  15. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Well Tarek, it seems that you have quite a few options now for your envisioned hardtop. Only thing now is for you to choose an option.
  16. YachtForums

Dear Dennis,

Before seizing an opportunity, it is best to do your homework. At YF, that starts with reading our rules on promotion and not posting your email address... on ANY open forum! Your address has been removed.

In the future, you might consider making a proposal on how you would go about accomplishing this, or what experience you have to facilitate the same. To simply jump into a community, offering nothing except a solicitation... is poor forum etiquette.
  17. YachtForums

Tarek...

There are several 5-axis mills in Florida, two of them belong to friends that have made a number of molds for me. They also happen to be respected as the best in the biz. You'll need to supply CAD drawings that can be interpreted by their software to produce a foam plug. After that, you can source a someone to make a mold and pull a piece for you. A reasonably adept yard in your vicinity should be able to install it. Be sure to run the drawings by one of Fairline's in-house engineers for structural confirmation.
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

If this is made from 3D-drawings and milled, you can save about half the cost by milling the mould! It will probably break when removing the hard top, but is good for one. Perhaps you need two pieces, one top and one bottom, if you would like to have less maintenance and nice surrounding shapes for spotlights, loudspeakers and such...
  19. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

That's true Ron..........what do you think of this hardtop, do you like the idea?
  20. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Are the CAD drawings required of the full boat or the flybridge and radar arch? I would definitely like to install some spot lights and a couple of speakers.
    Do they also design the hardtop or how does it work?

Kind regards,

Tarek