Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Is an Angular Thru hull fitting available?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by katieorielly, May 26, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. katieorielly

katieorielly New Member

I need to fit a FLS sonar vertically, but the only location available is not horizontal. Anyone know where can I get an angular thru hull fitting?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

When you say the only location available is not horizontal do you mean it is in the turn of the bilge?

If so you could extend the opening slightly and make it so the Sonar Unit could sit vertically in the hole even though the surrounding hull section may be far from this.

What is your boat made of?

If it's glass you could get a block built up on the inside to hold it or if it's steel/alu you could get a box welded in to do the same job.
  3. katieorielly

katieorielly New Member

Angular thru hull fitting

Wow, thank you, that was quick! My Alubat is aluminium and lift keel, my fuel tank is integral just fore of the keel so I can only locate the transducer in front of the tank where the hull rises up at 9 degrees. My other limitations is that she takes to the ground and I cannot sit down on the transducer. Welding a box is major (also within 4" of the tank!). The transducer reeds a standard 2" thru hull bore.:confused:
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Is your boat Gas or Diesel?

Is this a retractable sonar or fixed?
  5. katieorielly

katieorielly New Member

Hi, Its diesel and the sonar is retractable (O rings on the sonar body).
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You should be able to get a boat yard to weld in a pipe that you can use to mount the FLS in the space you say you have. No part of this needs to protrude below the hull so you can still ground the boat.

Welding close to a full Diesel tank is a lot safer than welding next to an empty one or a gas tank.

On another note have you ever considered a transom setup for your sonar?