Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Diesel Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by GFC, May 24, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. GFC

GFC Senior Member

While I'm an old gummer who has boated for 50+ years I'm moving toward taking the leap into a diesel powered boat for the first time. My unfamiliarity with diesels brought me to this forum where I've been lurking for awhile.

My questions revolve around the hours on a diesel, engine selection, etc. By way of background information, I'm looking for a boat in the 50'-55' range with twin engines. I'd like a boat that will easily cruise at hull speed but will be able to plane at 12+/- kts. The boat will be well equipped, have upper and lower helms and be capable of supporting a couple living aboard for 3-4 months at a time.

Question #1, I read a post on here where the gist of what I read suggested that knowing the hours on the engines isn't as important as knowing how much fuel has gone through each engine. In other words, how hard has each engine been run during its life.

How difficult is it to find out that information? Is there a way to hook an engine diagnostic tool to the engine that will give that information? How does one go about finding that information if the owner/seller has not kept those records?

Question #2 has to do with fuel economy. Assume for a minute I'm looking at two boats. Further assume that both boats are similar size (52'-54') and weight (40,000-45,000 pounds) and hull design. Both capable of planing speeds in the 12kt range but both mainly cruised at hull speed with short daily runs (30 minutes) on plane to bring the engines up to operating temp.

If one boat has engines in the 400-450 horsepower range and the other has engines in the 575-625 horsepower range, what would you expect the fuel burn rates to be on each of these boats?

Question #3 If you were in my position (and given this brief description of the boats) which would you likely prefer, the higher horsepower boat or the lower horsepower boat?

Thanks in advance for your time and for sharing your considerable expertise. I appreciate your help.

GFC
  2. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

1 You can only find out how much fuel the motor has burned if has an electronic system that can be access with a computer,, or if they just happened to have added a fuel counter on an older mechanical diesel.

2 The burn rate more than likely will be higher on the higher HP motor and more HP does not always give you higher speeds. But I have seen lower HP motors installed in larger vessels that caused lower speeds and higher fuel rate opposed to if they would had placed proper rated motors form the start..

3 If both vessels were preforming exactly the same, I would prefer the lower HP vessel. I figure no sense in paying for extra HP that you can't use... just be throwing fuel in the water..

A good boat hull design has exactly how much HP it needs. No less and no more.
  3. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

One more thing to keep in mind about the burn fuel rate in an electronic system.. it is only an calculated estimate of what the engineers figure the fuel rate should be for the amount of load and RPM the engines run at. Basically a pre-planed computer program designed at the factory. They do not have counting wheels or anything..
  4. sbmar

sbmar Guest

Electronic Engines and Fuel Consumption

C4ENG,

Maybe I do not understand your post, but I if I do, I not agree with your take on the fuel consumption figures that are available on the digital displays w/ electronic engines (at least those from Cummins).. For all intents and purposes, they a DEAD accurate as to instantaneous fuel burn, trip fuel burn, and historical fuel burn.. Am I understanding you right in that you think these figures are just an estimate??

Absolutely Not So..
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would tend to agree with SBMAR that the newer electronic engines have much more accurate fuel burn data than the older ones. I have no recent Cummins experience to speak of so can't comment on those engines.

I do however know a bit about CAT Engines.

The early CAT 3412 Electronic Engines fuel monitoring systems were very unreliable and inaccurate.

The new CAT ones are spot on, there is a master figure that's non resettable that is the bible by which warranty claims can be declined when the engines have burnt a lot more fuel that they should have given their ratings.
    (There was another post about this a couple of months ago)
  6. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

I am saying electronic engine fuel burn display is a calculated formula the electronic engineers expect the motors to burn at what ever load is being applied. If they do there job well then you will see that you are actually burning what the engineers figured it to burn by counting your own fuel...
  7. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

So, when one is considering a used boat, how do you know what the HP needs are? I'm looking at Ocean Alexanders in the 52'-54' range, around 1990 vintage. They have engines whose HP range runs all the way from 375 on the low end to over 500 on the high end. 400-425HP seems to give a cruise speed of 12-15kts.

Another make I looked at was a 52' Westbay equipped with twin 680hp Man's. The Westbay is wider (17'1" beam vs 15'6" on the OA's) but would it really need that much HP to move it at the listed cruise speed of 24kts. That would appear to be a very inefficient hull from a such well respected designer, or am I missing something.

Any thoughts on either of these two makes or their engine selections?
  8. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Gfc

You have the answer right in the question.
    The power to go 12 - 15 Kts is a lot less than 20 - 25 Kts
    The question to ask about the Westbay- does it plane at 12Kts?
    That hull may plane at 13 or 14 in order to ride well at 24.
    The fuel burn may be higher at 12 Kts than the Ocean Alexander.

If this was easy anybody could design a great boat.

Have fun
    Carl
  9. GFC

GFC Senior Member

OK Carl, I was doing fine through the first three lines, then ya lost me. I understand the difference in fuel burn between planing at 12-15kts and running at 20-25. (Though on my current boat, a 330 Sundancer, once I'm on plane I'm very close to .97-1.03mpg from 3400rpm's all the way up to about 4200rpm's. At that point the carb secondaries open and the fuel burn rate increases, dropping the mpg.)

Let's assume the Westbay does plane at 12-14. What do you mean by "ride well" at 24?

Are you talking about the boat riding on top of the water in a more bow-down attitude and not plowing through the water?

If both boats (Westbay and Ocean Alexander) could plane at 14-15kts, what would you expect the fuel burn difference between the two, given the engine difference? Would there be a significant difference, or would the difference be minor because the larger engines in the Westbay don't have to work as hard to maintain that speed?
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Your boat will need a certain amount of power to plane this will vary a bit depending upon bottom condition and load.

Your fuel use can be measured/calculated as grams per kilowatt hour or pounds per hp per hour.

It's hard to say if a big engine running at 75% is much more economical if any than a smaller one at 90%. A lot will depend upon the mass of the lump itself.
  11. Highlander

Highlander New Member

Gfc

A semi displacement hull will have a different shape than a planing hull.

A planing hull has a sharper entry at the bow and higher deadrise will ride softer at high speed-BUT there is some loss in efficiency at slower speeds due to increased wetted area.
    At the same power output, the bigger engine will have higher frictional losses but the biggest difference is the weight. The more the boat weighs- the more power to drive it.

The other side of the coin- putting a big engine in a hull designed to go 12-14 Kts max, is a waste. Yes you can push it faster with a huge increase in power but the ride will be hard and uncomfortable. The extra weight of the bigger engine adds to the power required. It's a no win situation.

Is there a naval archetect out there who can explain what the most efficent speed for a particular hull design is?

Match the motor to the hull and weight.

Carl
  12. GFC

GFC Senior Member

K1W1 and Highlander,

Thanks for getting back on this one. I do appreciate your time and knowledge. First, no naval architects out here. There are some in the Seattle area, but not on this side of the state.

Both the OA and Westbay are planing hulls. I have not looked up the specs for entry angle and deadrise, but am very familiar with those terms and the impact each has on how the boat rides when the water gets bumpy.

Most of the OA's in YachtWorld have the weights listed, but that 52' Westbay does not. I'm pretty sure I can find that out from Westbay, as well as the deadrise.

Here's the specs on a new 54' Westbay...
    SPECIFICATIONS
    Length Overall 54’
    Centerline Hull Length 50’
    Waterline Length 42’ 8”
    Beam 16’ 2”
    Deadrise Midship 20º
    Deadrise Transom 17º
    Draft 3’10”

Displacement (approx) 54,000lbs

By way of comparison, the 52' has a beam of 17'1", 5' draft and LOA of 57'6". I know what assumptions can do, but one could assume that the 52' boat, given the wider beam and deeper draft that it has deadrise numbers similar to the new 54'.

There's an OA Rendevous next month that we're going to attend. That will give us a chance to crawl around on some of them to take a closer look and talk with the owners to get their impressions. That's probably the best way for us to look at several boats in one area at the same time.
  13. KCook

KCook Senior Member

And BTW - Welcome to YachtForums GFC!

Kelly
  14. GFC

GFC Senior Member

Thanks Cheerful Kelly,

Great place to be. I've been lurking and doing a lot of reading. Very interesting and a somewhat different viewpoint from BABC.

BTW, I'll be in your neighborhood next week. Sunday we're headed down and will be there a week. I'll see if I can figure out how to PM you with my cell number. Are you up for another lunch?