Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Westport

Locking fuel caps available?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Petepd, May 19, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Petepd

Petepd New Member

Does anybody know if anyone makes a lock for the fuel caps on Sea Rays? I'm pretty sure someones getting my diesel a little bit at a time.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Any snailboats nearby?:rolleyes: On the upside, if anyone is sucking on a diesel hose you should find them dead on the dock soon.:cool: Seriously though, set up a cam. Wouldn't that make a great photo to post at the marina?
    Better than even chance you're just not calculating your fuel right. Up hear they usually steal entire fuel trucks. If someone is in such bad shape that they have to steal "a little bit" maybe they should just be pittied.....then thrown off the dock.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Theft

Its weird this thread came up today, I just opened the local newspaper and guess what, 20 gallons of gas stolen over the weekend from a Sportsboat. The marina has cameras all over the place but over a busy weekend no-one noticed someone pull along side with a trasfere pump and drain the tank.

Remember 25 years ago cars, trucks and bikes had no locking fuelcaps but now everyone has one. We, as owners, must pester the builders to provide them. Does someone know a buyer at BoatUS or Perko? If there is a market opening, it will be filled.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How exactly are you coming to the conclusion that someone is taking your diesel a little bit at a time? Why would they bother with the risk of taking a little bit at a time, rather then taking a lot one time? Searay's have very inaccurate fuel gauges.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I once read a series of articles in The New River Times called "sailing on the cheap' where they recommended shaking the final drops out of the fuel dock hoses at night (along with stealing the TP out of restrooms and soap shards from public showers). :D
  6. Petepd

Petepd New Member

Diesel fuel theft

The way I concluded that someone was stealing my fuel was that on Wednesday I had 240 gals and on Saturday I had 220 gals, all without leaving the dock. My guess is that someone figures if they take a little at a time no one will notice, and they can do it forever. They sell hand pumps that weigh next to nothing, and perhaps they only have a twenty gallon container to pull off their nefarious plan!
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

How did you measure that you had 240 gallons on Wednesday and 220 gallons on Saturday? Are you going by what the fuel gauge is telling you?

It might be easier for you to mount one of those hunting camera's (very small and cheap) to a piling on the dock that automatically takes digital pictures when it detects movement
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

A Valve in the filling line is also a good way to stop anything foreign being put in your tanks or anything being removed.
  9. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

About 6500 litres of diesel just got stolen out of a field tank on a jobsite.
    Guess that those have to be locked up these days.

Perhaps my past just caught up with me.
    Back in university days a neighbour had just bought a Volkswagen bug when they were still fairly new to the market and pretty scarce.
    He was filling it up every couple of days at the corner station that we could see from our place. He'd always tell us what his mileage was. Some nights we'd take a gallon or two out and some nights we'd add some. So, one day he'd be happy as all get out with numbers in the 60mpg range and other days he'd be swearing at the VW engineers for only getting 20mpg.
    Ah, the cruelty of youth.
  10. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Laughed out loud on that! I wonder what ever happened to the prankster in me? Oh yeah... I grew up. What a shame!
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

That sure as heck wasn't done with a hand pump and a 20 Lt drum, not unless it was over a large number of nights.

Fuel siphoning is a bummer but I am sure the majority of youths do it at some stage.

I was once questioned by the law after a siphoning incident. I had sold a vehicle to a guy who went out and got caught siphoning on the night of the day he bought it but drove away when surprised , the registered owner was still me so that's where the law came looking.
  12. Seafarer

Seafarer Senior Member

The most likely way of fuel 'disappearing' like that is someone got hold of a gas caddy with a transfer pump. 4 minutes or so to fill at 5 gpm with a slow hand.
  13. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

Not a youngster. Done in one night. Nobody would even notice a tanker coming on to the site at night. That's when they usually refill. That particular thief, or whoever bought the load from him, is in for a surprise. He drained the diesel tank and, I just have been informed, a good quantity from the next tank. The second one is gasoline. :D :D
    Locks are now on the tank drains.