Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Tier 2 Engines

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by K1W1, Apr 21, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Can anyone give me the facts and figures of what this rating means to the average megayacht owner?

I am really interested in knowing when the limits given for the exhaust emissions will be brought in to force and where they will really apply.

Will vessels arriving in the US be asked to prove they are powered with engines and gensets that comply?

If they don't or can't what will be the penalties?

I did a bit of googling but there wasn't anything that jumped out and said here it is plain and simple so I am hoping someone here can help me out.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Tier 2

I think this will give it to you : www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/stationary.php:

It's for engines manufactured after the standards are finalized.
    BTW, my understanding is that the standards are for "stationary" diesels which means this has no bearing on yachts currently and future regulations will most likely only apply to new motors so it should only be a manufacturer's concern.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Thanks for the link but it doesn't load for me.

From the little I have understood of this I would say it applies to all engines, this is why I am seeking clarification- the info available to me so far is not 100% clear.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I did a bit more googling this morning and found this.

John Deere Power Systems (JDPS) is pleased to announce a new line of commercial marine engines that meet US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) marine Tier 2 emissions standards. The new EPA standards affect all commercial propulsion and, all commercial and recreational auxiliary and generator drive marine engines manufactured in 2004 and beyond.

I still don't know what the problems would be if one was using non Tier 2 compliant engines in a new boat ad then came to the US
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The logical (not necessarily legal) response is : come here- no problem; register here- technically might be a problem, but unenforceable; resell here- technically might be a problem, but unenforceable; sell new at a dealership possibly a problem. The U.S. does not want to stop mega -yachts from visiting. They certainly don't want to stop trucks, ships and trains from bringing in goods. They don't even want to stop old American gas guzzling hoopties visiting from south of the border. All these things bring commerce. The laws are aimed at factories, power-plants and the like, then moving slowly up the chain. I don't think we'll see inspectors with carbon monoxide wands walking up the docks any time soon. This is an issue for manufacturers to deal with.
    Our legislators think they have to pass legislation to earn their keep. If we enforced every law on the books that's about all we'd do. :D
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

If the boat were "new", the Tier 1 engines would have been built in 2003 or earlier.
    K1W1, if you can get your hands on a Cat Marine Engine Selection Guide, September 2006 issue, on page 18 are the Tier 1 & Tier 2 Recreational and Commercial compliances for both year of manufacture as well as cylinder capacity for IMO & U.S. EPA. This covers engines out to 2010, BTW.

Seems to me, a builder would buy "fresh" engines to put into the boat, so that the build dates for both engine & hull correspond.I'd like to think that the regulations are for the engine manufacturers, not the boat builders.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Hi K1W1,

Been out out town annoying captains and engineers so missed this post.

A new build will have Tier2 engines and a re-egined vessel should have them.

But, it isn't just the EPA, it is MARPOL as well so is an international issue. Unless the boat is 400 tons or over there isn't going to be much checking by port state control (as if there is in the yachting biz anyway) but >400t an EIAPP is required and the big thing there is adherence to the engine's Technical File. That means strict record keeping of part numbers and sources for injectors, pumps, and other emissions related components in order to maintain conformity with the NOx Code.

This is far more than "an issue for manufacturers to deal with." It is part of an engineer's responsibility to maintain compliance by careful attention to maintenance and parts sources. It is as important as any other class issue and will probably become a much larger issue in the near future.

Both IMO and EPA websites have quite a bit of information available.