Click for Mag Bay Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

16v92's

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Manny, Apr 13, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Manny

Manny Senior Member

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking into 2 65' Donzis as of now, each with different "versions" of 16v92 engines. one has the standard 16v92TA while the other has 16v92TAB. What does the B in 16v92TAB stand for? are there any significant differences between the two?

2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

The B means the engine has a "bypass blower." There is a valve that directs turbocharger discharge air to the airbox above a certain load. It is more complicated due to the bypass control valve but if you are looking max output ... I think there are two versions, 100 percent and around 80 percent bypass, don't know what the difference in performance is.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The B model has a turbo bypass and is a beneficial addition to the motor. What the bypass does, it re-routed the turbo boost from the turbo back to the front of the turbo when the throttle's are brought back too quickly (mainly), this saves a lot of wear on the turbo's. It also allows the use of a turbo that may create boost quicker and it will then bypass excess boost, resulting in less intake air charge temperature and less wear and tear on the turbo.
  5. Manny

Manny Senior Member

Thanks again Capt J! Now that you mentioned that, I'm leaning closer to the Donzi with the 16v92TAB.