Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service

Perkins Cooling

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Straw, Apr 4, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Straw

Straw New Member

Hello. I am looking at an aluminum displacement hull that has a Perkins 6.354 120hp. Instead of the usual keeling cooling system this engine has a heat exchanger installed. I was told that there may have been insufficent cooling with the keel arrangement, but I don't buy that because it is used in every vessel of this style regardless of hull mat'l, size or configuration and is in my opinion, bomb proof. This is a supposedly a 0hr rebuild and the original holes in the hull for the keel coolers have been plugged. In my experience heat exchangers have a limited life span and require replacement or refurbishing. However the installation seems proffesional but the exhaust of the expended seawater is discharged thru a newly installed thru hull located portside just above the waterline with some gaurding to protect the rubber flapper style cover. I am inclined to scrap the whole system and reinstall coventional keel coolers. Any thoughts? Fred.
  2. Chris W

Chris W Member

good day, i have had nothing but good luck with my raw sea water cooled perkins 4108. lots of hours, as long as you keep water goin thru it its happy as a proverbial happy thing. it will run at idle even without water goin thru it.keep your strainers clean and zincs in good shape and i would recommend this system to anyone.also ,i think the water going over with the exhaust quiets the exhaust sound alot.
    good luck
  3. sailandfish

sailandfish Member

For the long run a properly designed and built keel cooler is unbeatable. You are correct heat exchangers have to be cleaned/ maintained, although it isnt a big issue. But if you like keel coolers, it certainly wont hurt anything. Its quite possible the old design didn't have adequate surface area to cool the engine thus resulting in problems.
  4. Straw

Straw New Member

Thank you both for your reply. I goofed when I said the heat exchangers required regular maintaince, I should have said exhaust manifolds. Most of the problems I have experienced has been with corrosion in the manifold resulting in restriction of water flow. I have removed them and had them "boiled" at a rad shop with good success, but after a few seasons they usually require replacement. The problem lay with the raw water used to cool the exhaust. My question is whether the Perkins uses this same system as it appears that it passes thru an elbow before it exits the thru hull. Also is the heatexchanger the common cooling on Perkins marine engines or are they also keel cooled? I do agree that it is possible that there was insufficient tubing to allow proper heat dissipation, but there is ample room to install it along the existing keel. Personally I prefer keel cooling but I am not inclined to waste money on replacing something that is functional. This is a new install and the boat is currently on the hard, so now would be the time to make a change. However "if it ain't broke don't fix it" could certainly apply here. Any opinions would be appreciated.