Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Westport

Nissan Marine Diesels

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Straw, Mar 30, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Straw

Straw New Member

Hello. Am looking at an ex-troller in the Pacific Northwest for a pleasure conversion. She is a displacement wooden hull double ender and is powered with a Nissan diesel, model unknown. Anyone have an opinion/info on these engines in general?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The only NISSAN Diesel experience I had had has been automotive. Some of the earl ones in the 70's and early 80's were not very good at all. The ones I have encountered and heard about since then however have been great.

Can you have a look at the engine and get a model and or serial number?

Some pictures would also be some sort of aid in identifying it.

I did a Google job on Nissan Diesels Marine and found that there is a 4.2 litre 4 cylinder engine that develops 120 hp at 3200 that seems to have been done by Chrysler and is being touted as a direct replacement for any Volvo 40 Series 280 Sterndrive Motor- does this sound like what you have seen?

You should try to determine where and who marinised it if it is not a factory job as there will be bits and pieces that are particular to that application that will most probably not be available from Nissan as a spare part.
  3. oceaneer

oceaneer Member

The old nissian diesel were great..
    did a bunch of work on a SD33 which is a 6 cylinder.
    Great engine, really well built, parts are still available.
    One of the simplest and easiest engines to rebuild.
    I have been told that a company in California makes a turbo kit for the SD33 and its 4cyl sister..

oceaneer