Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for MotorCheck Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights

Detroit Diesel 16v92TA

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by golden_fox, Feb 29, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. golden_fox

golden_fox New Member

I am getting a pair of Detroit Diesel 16V-92TA DDEC engines of 1450bhp. Does anyone have any experience with this model of DD? if so i would appreciate any input you can give and comments.

I would certainly like information on fuel consumption levels - particularly at 1600, 1800 and 2300 RPM (any real hand experience and figures are highly appreciated).

please feel free to give me the good, the bad, and the ugly!

THANKS A LOT!
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I would not use these engines given any choice.

They are old hat, the reason you got them is many people are re powering with 4 strokes
  3. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

I agree totally. At the moment I am running a vessel with these engines, when it comes time to aquire parts you are forced in to using remanufactured parts which seem not to have the quality and have a high failure rate. In their day they were not a bad engine but that day has passed. they are also a dirty engine, tend to leak oil, don't burn clean and are noisy.
  4. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

If I had all the money in the world I might get 's CAT's or MTU's ,,,, But this is the real world and money matters.

71 or 92 Detroit are great engines and there nothing wrong with installing them in your boat as long as you keep oil in them you can't hurt them

Oil leak ,,, yes they have a blow by tube that blows a little oil. I ran a hose to a filter can and it catches all the oil then I pour back into the engine. About a half pint per ten hours of running big deal

There a lot of 71 or 92 Detroit still in boats and most get rebuilt not changed out. When my 8-71's need rebuilt I will rebuild them not repower.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

My background is Engines, these and all forms of High Speed 2 stroke are toast.

I have worked on many 53's,71's and 92's during my apprenticeship plus a load of other manufacturers product.

Late 2006 I was called by a really good pal of more than 20 yrs,who was on a boat with 16V-92 Engines he said he needed 6 Cyl Kits for his boat. I asked my contacts in 3 continents and could not find the kits for less then 4 Business Days- best delivery time was in NJ.
  6. golden_fox

golden_fox New Member

More minuses than pluses....???

Capt. Mike thanks for your input. its certainly reassuring to know that you have complete trust in them....but i understand that they are not the cleanest but that's manageable.

K1W1….agreed that it is difficult to get parts as it is certainly old….this particular one was built in 1996

And Garry has backed it up as well….but your experience with it as having a ‘high failure rate’ is very troubling……it is in complete contrast with what Capt. Mike has stated…..

Thank you all for bringing in all your experiences and giving me some input. Much appreciated. Will now have to just hold on a bit before making a final decision on whether to buy them or not...hmm....
  7. golden_fox

golden_fox New Member

Garry....since you have a vessel with these engines, can you give me some figures on the level of fuel consumption at a couple of engine speeds? Say 1600, 1700 and 2300 RPM? Much appreiciated.
  8. golden_fox

golden_fox New Member

Capt. Mike....I would like to get some information on the fuel consumption of these engines at a couple of RPM ranges....is it possible? Thanks a lot.
  9. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

you will not have any problem getting parts but if I am not wrong you will have to get parts for two 8-92's. The 16-92 is two 8-92 blocks bolted together with a new 16-92 crank. There are so many they started making the -92 in 1974 it was the last of the 2 stroke and the biggest and the strongest. I wish I had 8-9's but 8-71's are great engines too. mine run great and do very well on fuel you can't ask for more then that.

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/index.cfm?cfapp=10&Forum_ID=109

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62778

http://www.dieselpartsdirect.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?openid=203
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Jeez....would you buy one? Yes, very cheap to buy but having run both 71 and 92's not my best bet, bit old hat now.

What would you buy now????

PS I work with Volvo Penta

Dave
  11. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

what size and boat are you putting them in wood, glass, steel or al
  12. golden_fox

golden_fox New Member

Its a fiberglass hull....with a waterline length of 86 feet.
  13. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

What sort of speed/range are you looking at?
    Fishing or cruising?
  14. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

It goes with saying Volvo are great engines but so are cat, cummins, MTU it all depends on your budget. if you have the money for new then that is a hard one. If not then 92's might be first on my list but there not bad. you can't kill a old 2 stroke as long as it has oil. I like the cat's but in that HP might be hard to find rebuilt. new all day long.
  15. golden_fox

golden_fox New Member

Looking at achieving around 17 to 18 knots cruising and a top speed of just over 20 plus.
  16. golden_fox

golden_fox New Member

Capt. Mike....what's ur take on the fuel consumption?
  17. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Are you doing the boat in Male' or in Mombasa? 92'V8 should do you OK for that sort of range on a dive boat. In Mombasa there used to be a good supply of CAT parts as well. Just a thought.
  19. golden_fox

golden_fox New Member

Its going to be used in the waters of the Maldives. will be ready for around November....it's also a twin screw. i am becoming more and more unsure about using the 92's
  20. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

The initial design of the 2 stroke detroit diesel was from WW2 they ended up building 4 series the 53 series, the 71 series, the 92 series, and the 149 series. They were intended to be a high power low weight easily maintained engine. They were also intended to be disposable and low cost. In the time when oil was cheap and pollution didn't matter they proved themselves to be a good robust motor. They were also unique in that unlike most engines the majority of parts were inchangable between engines of the same series. For example the the 16V92 uses the same heads, valves, pistons, supercharger, injector pump, injectors, As the 8V92 and many parts from the 4-92 and 6-92. By the way a 16V92 is not two 8V92s bolted together, the block is a single casting.

I would also like to clarify my comment about high failure rates, I was not meaning the engine but in particular remanufactured parts. I am experiancing a 15% failure rate within 100 hours on remanufactured injectors and turbos and there is no warranty on these parts. The only new parts avaliable are old stock which can be found given time and money.