Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Westport Click for Furuno

Provisions required

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DON GREER, Feb 14, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DON GREER

DON GREER Member

My port is Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
    I am considering the purchase of a boat that has not been provisioned. It needs a 15-17 foot tender, 10 foot dingy, motors for same, life raft and other safety equipment; hand held VHF radios; complete galley provisions; bar provisions; linen; cleaning stores; and the like.

I have some ideas in mind but without noting them here would like to hear from anybody as to what they recommend and why.

Thanks……..
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Don the title of your post is a little mis leading.

Provisions are normally things that are eaten and drunk onboard. I should add before the literary geniuses who come here attack that you can also make provisions ( actions to be taken etc)against things such as Grounding , Fire etc

Tenders, Toys and Safety equipment would be better addressed as Outfitting equipment.

Do you want inflatable boats or rigid ones, each has it's own set of advantages and dis advantages.

Safety Equipment should be the best you can afford as in an emergency you may only get one shot at using it.

Are you looking at Galley and Bar equipment or the food and drink side of things?

As for Linen and the Consumables you will need it's hard to even start to suggest without knowing something about the boat you are looking at.

If you care to send me a PM with some details I will try to see if what you have falls within my sphere of experience and get back to you. I will not post any info you send me on the forum in public without your express permission.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don,
    You need to be talking with someone familiar with your boat, cruising area and style. Is your yacht 300' or 30'? Do you plan to fish, cruise the inside passage or only do dockside parties with friends? Talk with your broker (but watch out if he is recommending things that he also sells), a local captain, your dockmaster and especially neighboring boaters. If you'll be hiring a captain you and he can outfit the boat together. And as Kiwi pointed out, learn the terminology or just scream out "I'm a newbie, please take my money from me". That sounds cold, but the better (boating) educated you are the more enjoyable the sport will be. Good luck.
  4. nilo

nilo Senior Member

I have a 5 meter AB inflatable tender and a 3.20 crew dingy, also from AB. The reason I have chosen AB was due to weight limitations. I am storing it on flybridge deck and have a cranage capacity of 1000 kgs. she is equipped with a Yamaha 115 hp engine. She rides well and can go up to 40 knots. One of the other reasons for my choice was that people sit in it rather than on top as with most RIB tenders. I was initially targeting to buy Avon 490, but they have somehow stopped the production of the outboard model and producing only the diesel inboard type, which is heavier than 1000 kgs.

My other choice was Nuvorania Q480, but again I was up to the weight restriction. AB does not have the same quality as neither Nuvorania nor Avon in the material and build, but functionwise performs well.

If you want waterjets for your main tender, you can check Castoldi. Looks like a good boat and material seems ok, but I do not have any 1st hand experience. I have just posted a question to Azureazimut in another thread, who owns a 17 feet Castoldi. Maybe he can comment more.

If you want to have specially done linen and towels for your boat, I can propose a Turkish company, which may be more competitive than the Italian ones in the market and will match the quality as well.
  5. Both Honda and Yamaha outboards for tenders get great reviews, Yamaha might have more dealers in your area if you need service or parts. Last week I put a tender in the water for a yacht owner, the Yamaha 40 four stroke on a Zodiac had not been started for seven months, it started immediately. It is much better however to run them at least monthly.

Different builders of inflatables have different configurations and you should consider just how you will use it to best fit your needs. The jet tenders are great for very shallow water but do not handle as well at low speeds coming to the dock or the swim platform, and some tend to be harder to keep running straight at high speeds.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

It's easy to see you're down south. Up here a 7 month layup is a yearly happening and we expect it to start right up in the spring. Let's not ask too little of the manufacturers.:D
  7. I know about a winter layup, I was a broker in Connecticut many years ago, and I am from Scituate, MA. When winterizing a boat with gas engines we ran them out of fuel at the least, fogged most of them.
    What I see here in Florida are engines that were not prepped for non use, with clogged carburtors a common problem on outboards. Being laid up for the winter is not the same as being neglected.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Only kidding with you. I've been running and maintaining outboards up here and down there since 1956.;)
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That being said the Honda carbeurators do not lend themselves to sitting for long periods of time between starting them. The Yamaha's 4 strokes seem to handle sitting around better.

It is advisable to run a tender every month, but 9 out of 10 times on yachts that never happens. All in all the old 2 strokes seemed to be able to sit better and run when asked to.