Click for JetForums Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

New electronics and engine monitoring for old boat...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by bglz42, Aug 27, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. bglz42

bglz42 New Member

This summer I purchased a 1988 Pace 36 Sportfish that had been recently repowered with Yanmar 6LYA-STP's (370hp). The installation was brilliant, but the gauge package leaves a little bit to be desired. The analog gauges are inaccurate, including the tachs. (My engines are analog...)
    I'm at a crossroads: Do I just replace the gauges with more analog gauges, hoping for resolution? Or do I look at newer technology (Maretron EMS 100 boxes) to convert my analog signals to NMEA 2000?

My electronics (gps/chartplotter/radar/ff) are all oldschool. Do I replace them with an all-inclusive system? (My pockets aren't megayacht-deep...)

If I used the Maretrons, I could purchase a display for engine functions or use an all-inclusive type of system for everything.

Any suggestions?

Jim
    M/V Change of Pace
  2. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

3. bglz42

bglz42 New Member

Thanks Cap! I'm looking at the Aetna's right now. That's probably the direction I'll go, regardless of the Maretrons. I'll use the NMEA 2000 as a backup. I like Aetna's combo units, too.

Thanks!

Jim
  4. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Engine Room Camera

Is there an Engine Room Camera or Camera for that matter that is compatible on the NMEA 2000 Network?

Anything would be greatly appreciated at this point...
  5. winesk

winesk New Member

If you are just looking for digital tachs think about the Flo Scan package. You get accurate tachs plus fuel management data.
  6. bglz42

bglz42 New Member

I went with the Aetna's, and am VERY happy with them! They are dead-on at all rpms, and are easy to read... top-notch product.