Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Oxidization removal- help

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by denzil, Mar 1, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. denzil

denzil New Member

Am currently skipper on a 74' boat and we've been parked up somewhere (don't want to mention the place....will tell through PM if requested) where there's a waste incinerator very close by. The boat is completely covered in oxidization spots due to fallout. It's as if somebody went mad with a grinder close by. We are sueing the plant but this still leaves me with a problem.
    Any suggestions about removal without polishing the whole boat head to toe? She didn't really need a polish as quite a new boat but maybe that's my only option. Have tried Ferronet without result.
    Any comments or ideas appreciated.

Regards
    Annoyed skipper! :mad:
  2. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

Can you post some picture so we can get a look at the situation?
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Denzil,
    You might have to get a closer look and see if the ash from the incinerator has a level of acid and if it has eaten into the finish. Perhaps it's more like a stain, where a light compund can take it out. I had a problem in South Florida once. Came to the boat and it looked like there were tiny rust spots in the gelcoat. Scubbed the boat, no good. Came back a week later and the spots were gone. Don't know if the rain washed them away or they were bleached by the sun.
    Good luck.
  4. Codger

Codger YF Wisdom Dept.

ash fallout

If at all possible get a sample of the fallout and have an analysis done.
    Finding out what the contaminant is will determine what effect it has really had on the surfaces.
  5. denzil

denzil New Member

I wanted to leave as soon as possible but wanted the damage accounted for so got a surveyor down to witness details. He's got samples and also the pictures. I'll try and take some more. The contaminant is fine specs of metal or carbon but the results are not back as yet. Fortunately, up to now, i have noticed no pitting or staining of the gelcoat. It's just a pain in the bum removing it with 3M white top polish. The fine compound doesn't cut it.
    I wasn't the only boat this affected. Many boats and companies in the marina are banding together to sue this company. For me the repairs needed are maddening enough without imagining what people in the area are breathing in every day!
  6. Talon

Talon Senior Member

I would suggest washing the decks down as much as possible, this would diute any acid / alkali residue.

Some acids leave an orange stain, but after a day or two oxidize out, leaving nothing.
    Why not try using 3 dishwasher tablets in a bucket of warm water, then mop down the areas, these have good dirt / grease lifting properties, but do not harm surfaces.
  7. Darkdiver

Darkdiver New Member

You might try muratic acid on a paint brush. I use it alot at the yard.You would be surprised at the things it will remove without harming the gel... Good luck.
  8. Gmonte4538

Gmonte4538 New Member

what concentration of muratic are you using? 5%?
    Thanks Gary
  9. m2m

m2m Senior Member

I have run into this problem several times over the years with acid rain from a power plant Try using vinegar to neutralize the acid and then bleach to clean the surface. I have seen people compounding a boat for 4 hours with no result and I gave them some vinegar and bleach and
    the stain dissappeared instantly. If it doesn't go away instantly it's not acid rain as this only works on acid rain.You don't need a lot just put some of each on a rag.
  10. GFC

GFC Senior Member

I've used a product called CLR in the past to remove a material that drifted down onto the decks. It's a calcium and lime remover that is available through most grocery stores, WalMarts, hardwares, etc. It doesn't damage the gelcoat but does remove stains well.
  11. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Do you really feel like a law suite is in order?
    Do you know who will really be paying for the law suite if you win?
    It will be the residents living in the area who will be picking up the tab who had nothing to do with causing damage to a yachts paint work.....
  12. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Yep, really good at about 10% mixed with white vinegar and warm water. then leave it half an hour, will clean it up a treat. Or try Y10 gel, but thats getting costly.
  13. hasaneristi

hasaneristi New Member

Marmaris, on south western Turkish meditterranean
    Haven't tried their products yet but planning to; checking out gtechniq's website
    for nanotechnoly products may help.
  14. sailandfish

sailandfish Member

Try getting some ospho, put it in a spray bottle 50% mix with water. While washing the boat spray affected areas and let it sit for a little bit, not allowing it to dry, and wash it back off. Dont apply it to a dry surface, rinse the boat down first the spray it on, and be sure to wash it off. Repeat as necessary, and get back to me if it doesnt remove the stains. We use this stuff to clean all kinds of stains from rust streaks, grinder/ yard dust, sulpher fallout from exhaust, tec.

Ospho can be found at hardware stores, National Marine Suppliers should also have it, not sure who would on your side of the pond.
  15. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

In case you have never heard of it OSPHO is the name of a commerical product that contains a combination of phosphoric acid, dichromate, wetting agents and extenders.

And just what you always wanted to know about Rust for some bedtime reading :)

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/rust/rust.html
  16. Todd S

Todd S New Member

Buff Magic

I had a similar situation with my Ocean. There is a new product called Buff Magic. It is amazing stuff to use. Not an abrasive and and not as harse as some suggestions here. Buff on and polish off. Removes old oxidization, tar, spots etc..

I had got mine from Jamestown Distributors. Just remember to put wax on after. I had great luck with Rejex after very very shiny and not a mark to be found

Todd
  17. sailandfish

sailandfish Member

an added bonus to using OSPHO, if you spray it on your balls your guaranteed a day off!