Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for Ocean Alexander

MAN V8-900 CRM oil leaks

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Capt Ralph, Sep 17, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Anybody out have a clean V8-900 with NO oil leaks? I help on a pair of them and thru the years, NEVER been able to get ahead of the oil leaks.
    Not the rocker covers but I suspect from the heads there the rocker pin is installed. And other O ring sealed fittings.
    Each head is separate and at least 2 per side would have to be pulled to service the rocker shaft O rings. D%^&^*& I don't want to do that.

Was thinking synthetic oil does not expand O rings and could use some snake oil.
    Any thoughts or history (magic dance) out there?

Attached Files:

2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Look at keeping it all nice and clean as a form of job security
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Those leaks were after a bath, then a run down the river and back. 1 hour max (key on, key off).

After a weekend hop. 16 hours maybe. The bottom of the pan is covered and the diapers in the bilge were trashed.

Were just on top of a DRY bilge. Owner is upset the engines seem to be leaking more and trashing his DRY and CLEAN bilges.

Those V-8s with all the hang on gear are huge, ER small & my head and my a%^^ (rear) are wide.
    Need a pill (for me) & snake oil for the blocks.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If they are leaking so bad you should look to fixing it properly, while diapers are good oil absorbers they are a good source of fuel for a fire in anyone's book.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

generally I don't see any oil leaks on Man's. The sets I've run don't even weep oil. If it's leaking that much you probably are going to have to bite the bullet and address it. Usually o-rings don't leak unless there is another issue going on like more movement than usual. etc.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

We have two sets of Mans, R6-800's and V12-1360's and we have no leaking. As an owner I would be upset as well and find it not acceptable for both reasons indicated, the fact it indicates some problem with the engine and the fact it creates a messy fire hazard.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

After the rocker shafts are pushed into place, the top head bolts pass into the head and thru a notch in the rocker pins. There is not much or any play on that shaft after assembly.
    The oil bypass spring cover is torqued into place. It does not move. same factory paint unbroken means that cap has not moved. The only thing these two leaks have in common is it is sealed with a O ring.
    Thanks for the thought, but I don't think anything is moving.

In the pictures, and more between the heads, are O ring leaks. We have used the required synthetic oil always. Never push the hours between service. It's the same on both engines. AND, they run perfect.

An example illustration; fuel and oil filters O rings usually swell a bit when in contact with fuel and oil. I'm thinking because of a non-petroleum oil (synthetic), the seals are not swelling any.

Running out of ideas before I pull off an experimental head. I really do not want to do that.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

At this point, I would call in a MAN certified dealer or Man certified mechanic and have them fix the issue. It's not going to be cheap, that's for sure. You also cannot run anything but the synthetic Mobil oil in them.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is no Man rep up here.
    Let me more correctly ad to that; There is NO MAN mechanic up here that is trusted or not on a (s)hit or black list.
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Its a 4 stroke diesel engine.

If there are no warranty issues involved any competent CAT Guy with the manual should be able to rip off a few cylinder heads and refit them.
  11. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Has Man issued a service bulletin on this problem? An experienced Man mechanic would know....
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have already inquired about this problem with my (remote) MAN support guys. They offered the part numbers for the tools and O rings. I'll ask (kick) them again for any factory issues. They usually do offer tips like that but this time nothing. Also, They did not offer the factory tips on the bell housing gasket issue MAN had. That's why a kick may be necessary on my next comm with them.
    I was hoping somebody else had/has been here before I started kicking.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Call Man North America and ask them. They're located in Pompano Beach,FL.

I would find a MAN trained mechanic and have them do it. There must be someone in St. Augustine or an hour away or closer. When you say the local guys rip people off, what do you consider rip people off and have you ever seen dealers do a service on an engine and the cost and speed at which ANY of them work?
  14. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

There's a MAN service facility in the St. Augustine area and then the next one is in Savannah. Also, wouldn't Lambs be able to do what you need?
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

My customers have dealt with that s^%&* in St Aug. I don't send my enemies to those DS's at Lambs (another new example just last week).
    I have not heard anything bad about the shop in Savannah (Thunderbolt?) and that could be a thought, but a long hike.

I'll probably have to do it myself, all alone, again.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Rip off is not financial. Ripoff #1 is the condition of the equipment when the job is finished. I should not have to correct all the supports and hangers when he leaves. NOR have to clean up the mess in the bilges and decks.

Rip off is financial. Ripoff #2 when I have to pay the guys phone time while he gets instructions from some other guy. Constantly running up to the tool store to get his next special tool that the guy on the phone just told him about.

Rip off is incomplete. Ripoff #3 when a new traveling tech reports that my computer has failed. Then I discover his un-licensed software in his laptop is out of rev to our computer. Oh, he still wants his money for showing up.

These are just the Supposed MAN guys.
    I can write a book on Lambs.
  17. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

My 900 CRM's have had similar issues. Both got new bell housing seals under warranty in 2007, both had failures of the oil cooler seals at about 300 hours and both have had small leaks at the valve covers. Over the past couple of years my port engine has been leak free with not a drip on the diapers. But, the starboard engine is losing a bit of oil apparently again from near the bell housing. This is not enough loss to have to add oil during 100 hours of use, but enough that the diapers are stained each use and maybe at rest too.

It is annoying and extremely frustrating as an owner operator.
  18. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

RC,
    Those are the Man engines I have. 2005 CR900. No oil leaks and have slightly over 1000 hrs. I do believe some seals were replaced under warranty before I purchased in 08. As seagull mentioned I to had to replace the oil cooler gaskets at approx. 400 hrs. Since then no issues.