Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

MTU vs LUGGER

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by new old guy, Aug 28, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. new old guy

new old guy New Member

hi I am in the process of deciding which trawler to purchase. They are very comparable in quality,equipment,and price.The one main difference would be the main engine.One has an MTU series60,the other has a LUGGER 1276. my question be which one would be most economical? They both have close to 4000 hrs.
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

The old MTU 60 is a fine old girl that will last for a long time, the spare parts are sadly drying up now, even in the PNW.

The Lugger is a much newer motor with plenty of spares available and many engineers who know them very well.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends on what boat they're in. The series 60 has been around a long time. Luggers have also, just google fuel burn charts for both engines and see what they burn at cruise, and see what the speed of the vessel they're in is at cruise and do the math for them.

They're both good motors. The lugger will generally outlast the series 60 before rebuilds, but MTU has a larger dealership network and your chance of finding parts in stock locally will be greater most likely.
  4. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

What hp are they rated at?

For a trawler application these would be commercially rated, and even continuous duty. For diesels in general, I always give an edge to displacement, the Series 60 is 855 cu. in. (14.0 liters) while the Lugger is 766 cu. in. (12.5 liters).

Forget about the comment of a Lugger outlasting the Series 60 before rebuild, not in this Commercially rated case. The Series 60's are all over the place in workboats, tugs, push boats, ferries for a reason, the supporting network footprint is significantly bigger. Commercial operators get 10's of thousands of hours before rebuilds, one ferry operator on the east coast has 60,000 plus hours on his Series 60 engines, sticks to his maintenance program.

Get an engine survey to understand the current condition of the engines and request all service documents.
  5. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

The Lugger is a marinized Deere engine, I don't think parts and service are much of an issue. I'd have both engines looked at, each by a mechanic who knows them, then make an offer on the boat I liked the most subject to a thorough hull and engine survey.
  6. sunchaserv

sunchaserv Member

In a dry stack configuration some complaints about MTU soot have surfaced with one in a Nordhavn being replaced by a Deere. This was about 4 years ago in a new build.
  7. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

The solution is very simple.

BUY THE BETTER BOAT... don't worry which engine is in it !
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Uh? Parts still on the line from DDC/MTU. To many 60s on the road to guess at any EOL timeline.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Nuf Said....
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Really??? I managed a yacht built in 2007 that had them......we had no issues getting parts.....considering you can still get parts for the 2 strokes (92/72 series) without much issue and they stopped making those in 1999 I wouldn't worry about that.

I would buy the best boat also, as both motors are good motors in a trawler.
  11. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Well it is an interesting choice...

Lugger = tractor motor

MTU = Blimp motor

Will all that connotes...
  12. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Blimb motor

Hi, Caro,

I believe the MTU (even the old S60) engines have evolved a little bit since her blimb age. Not much but a little bit. I am not sure about Lugger :D.

And I do not believe MTU is guilty for the S60. If I remember correctly, they found this engine in store, when they took over Detroit Diesel (This great engine was one of the reasons, they bought that company).

The great thing on that engine for marine use is, that you can buy it in an left hand and right hand version (turned heads), in order to have the service sides, in a twin engine installation, to the most convenient side.

Below a real blimb engine from 1915, when they were still called Maybach.

Attached Files:

13. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Open your eyes, take a look at the USCG Response Boat Medium (RBM) vessels.

USCG: Response Boat-Medium