Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Furuno

The "Buck" engine

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by kmb1949, Jul 25, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

I am still trying to find support to manufacture this new engine. Any suggestions?
  2. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

3. SomeTexan

SomeTexan Member

Looks like a good concept. I didnt see operating rpm mentioned on the site though. I'm curious as to how far along this engine is.
  4. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Nice looking machine work. Put one in a test cell for a hundred hours or so to provide real performance specs and obtain emissions certs then run it for another thousand in a real boat and there might be a reason for someone to show interest.
  5. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck engine

The first prototype ran well. It was 6.7 liters and produced about 400 horsepower. The idea here is to produce an engine that never needs to be removed for repair. A "No Machining Required" design where every part can be replaced while the engine is still in the application. With the final design, the crankshaft installs from the top. The main bearings can be replaced from the top without removing the oil pan. Have any of you ever seen a motor yacht with a big hole cut in the side so that the engine could be removed?
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Here's the big problems I see. You have an engine with over 70 proprietary castings, and unless it's backed by one of the large companies who will produce and back it from now until eternity, what are the chances the company will be in business 10-20 years from now and you can get parts?

I've never ever heard of someone having to cut a hole in the side of the boat to remove a 6.7 liter engine. A big 12 cylinder diesel occasionally, a 6.7 liter engine never.

As they say on Shark Tank- in this situation you're better off with a licensing agreement. If you can license the design to MTU (who really doesn't have anything in that size/HP range) or CAT or another manufacturer who will actually produce the engine, maintain the parts inventories, and have a good dealer network, then I can see success, if the design is a good reliable design to begin with.
  7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

That is common procedure in steel megayacht newbuilding and repair. How will you get a MTU 16V 4000 or a Cat 3516 in and out of the engine room, when the superstructure is already installed. Otherwise you would have to install the engine in an early stage of the casko build.

An MTU 2000 series or an Cat C32 might get through an engineroom hatch in the salon and out through the big salon door but none of this big bangers.

Below an example of the newbuild of the swath yacht Silver Cloud, where the complete floating Hull and superstructure arrived at the yard and then a hole was cut in each "torpedo" to install the machinery. Welding techniques are so perfect nowadays, you would not notice the cutout after the build or the repair is completed.

Big merchant ships are even cut in half to install a new engine.

Boats made of GRP or CRP (even worse) are a different story. But on most of those (smaller) boats, the engines will go through the aft deck (hatches) or the salon. On carbon reinforced plastics for example, the cutout needs to scarfed or spliced at an slope of 1 to 100 or more, which means, in an small engine room, you might to be forced to cut major frames or watertight bulkheads.

Will say, an engine that can be dismantled in such small pieces that it can be carried through the engine room door, would be a great idea for repowering and repair.

I wish you all the luck, you need for that adventure, to place a new marine engine design on the market. Bigger ones have given up before (like Volkswagen or Mercedes).

Attached Files:

8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I wonder if a better application might be for driving a generator. The market for that size power is growing and the modularity suits the application well. Not to mention the emissions regs might be easier to meet in many cases.
  9. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck engine

You would first need to understand the design. Secondly you need to understand that the engine is scalable from 30 to 3000 horsepower. It can be configured in in-line or V. These designs also can be used in all IC engine applications from OTR trucks to compact cars, sailboats to mega yachts. The design uses a lower block and an upper block along with individual cylinders. The upper and lower blocks should never need to be replaced or machined. The crank journals are replaceable so if you were to spin a main bearing, you can replace the journal housing and the crank and be back underway in a matter of hours and not weeks. Yes, doing this is not cheap but it is only space, machines and people. It is basic manufacturing.
  10. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I think most readers here understand the design quite well. We also understand the applications, particularly marine applications and the benefits your design might bring.

It is up to you now to bring a working, certificated product to the market. Until then it is just another good idea without a customer who wants the Buck engine rather than one of the known entities.

A bad engine that can readily be serviced anywhere on the planet any time by just calling a dealer is far better than the best engine on the planet that has only one source of parts and people who can work on it.
  11. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck engine

Setting up a service network is not a daunting task and in time it will be in place. However a service network is not as initially important with these designs. The engine is very simple to repair and since the cylinders are modular, you can UPS overnight just about anything you may need (only the crankshaft in the larger engine families is too large or heavy to UPS). The cylinder heads for the 1.25 liter per cylinder displacement family only weigh 18 pounds and the jugs are about the same (we expect to offer a 5/8 liter, 1.25 liter, 2.5 liter and 5.0 liter per cylinder family). A cylinder head for most other product weighs hundreds of pounds and requires a hoist to remove. If any person with minimal mechanical ability can change a complete cylinder, including the rod and rod bearing, in just a few minutes, carrying an extra cylinder kit or two on the boat is reasonable to do. Believe me, having a good service network is not an initial concern for the product. The initial need is for the capital to set up production. You can't sell what you can't produce and a service network will not be needed until we have product in the market (maybe 18 months from funding). Light weight modular parts will save the customer a lot of downtime and expense. If the compression on a single cylinder is down, you change the one cylinder, quickly and easily (7.5 minutes from running engine to running engine in the test cell) and parts can be delivered overnight from the manufacturing plant to just about anywhere in the world. What the customer needs is a proactive company to deal with. A company where the marine customer is the total focus. The marine engine market is less than 5% of the overall engine market. How concerned are the large producers with 5% of their sales. I'm certain that there is room for a marine diesel engine company that is 100% focused on marine.

The engine is designed from the bottom to the top to be serviced and repaired in the boat (oil pan or lower block need never be removed from the motor mounts). Boat engines for us will be 100% of our focus. This is not the case with any other product offering. Every engine in every boat (with the exception of the huge container ship engines) is a converted truck, generator or car engine. They weigh too much and they aren't as compact as they need to be. Most have to be removed from the boat in order to repair a cylinder or crank. Most need a machine shop to machine parts when rebuilding but not the Buck engine.
  12. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

kmb1949:

Looks like an interesting project. That is your biggest advantage right now. The concept of a small marine diesel specially made for that market is great. Your description of the bed plate crankcase got me to thinking back and remembering the WW1 tank engine that cemented Sir Harry Ricardo's career... many good ideas in that never fully exploited: The Ricardo Exhibition
    The internet connection has some previously unpublished commentary by Sir Harry. Somewhere from that internet connection you can find photos of the engines in partial assembly. I remember reading the autobiography Ricardo Engineers Published a long time ago now (company official gave me a copy... which someone took from my library and did not return). In that book that SAE I believe has republished Sir Harry talks about the tank engine and its ability to run on very poor fuel that is why he was knighted!

I could provide some suggestions on the design but it seems you are well along. If your serviceability is as easy and reliable as you have stated generally the engine could be a winner with on caveat and that is emission control. Lots goes into that and I don't have a good idea of your combustion and injection designs.

All this said, having been involved with CAT for some time and having also been involved in many engine development programs that are startup to bring forth new ideas I will give you some comment as to success. The market for engines is a commodity market and very large. All the technology is very mature and the only real improvements are materials, combustion control and injection systems. Mechanically everything under the sun has been not only tried but any practicable concept has been under considerable engineering development. Mostly the new start ups have to do with two lines of thought combustion and thermal control technology and mechanical design. Your design falls solidly into the second category. That is more user convenience driven and more manufacturing convince drive than anything else. If it can be easier and cheaper to make and service using presently known techniques, manufacturing methods and existing equipment it has a chance.

The challenge is either licensing the design or setting up manufactures and servicing. For any larger engine manufacturer to consider he will be in the end concerned with, first 'can it be made on our present production lines', and 'can our service network handle it with significant training and inventory costs?'

Usually they are not very interested in outside mechanical designs because of those issue are really in-house issues. Usually they are very interested in outside technology as to combustion and thermal control for licensing.

So you are stuck with setting up your own manufacturing and service. From where you are now I would roughly guess to startup in a niche market you need in US dollars about 50 million to 150 million. I think its likely needs to be in the 100 million range to be successful and need you no where near the front office (meaning you will have absolutely no business control) likely you would be hired as a technical director but understand you will not be able to maintain any control. If it was an emerging market or technology situation you would be allowed to have a much larger say and stake... which pretty much is the history of silicone valley.... which is the history of Kleiner, Perkins now Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers. They would have zero interest in you project. But if you wrote now retired Tom Perkins care of that company he might personally be interested in your project but before you do read the book Mines Bigger by David A. Kaplan. If you get some interest contact me here and I would be happy to give you some comments and suggestions on your design... in fact I can direct you you a really good technical guy that could help you a lot... .
  13. Chasm

Chasm Senior Member

Hm....

The biggest hurdle I see is that you need a bit more than just a Lego engine. (Which is cool, really, even if the following sounds negative.)

Say compliance with future -not current- exhaust emission regulations. Cue in the crickets. An engine slated for use in several different regulatory environments including road use. Not even a single statement, that I can find, said that testing showed that the engine meets current requirements in any single environment. Forum threads since 2009, maybe even 2008. I'll take internal testing at this stage, no need for the full external tests.

Or if that's on par with the competitors maybe wider power bands than the usual suspects. Seemingly simple stuff like low power (aka displacement speed) without soot clogging the whole exhaust system should sell a few thousand engines.
  14. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck Engine

All of your questions and concerns I agree with and all of the answers will come with the testing program for the products. This has not been done yet because the final designs have not been built. To fully test anything that you don't intend to market would be counterproductive. What I can tell you for certain is that the first prototype was an in-line 6.7 liter diesel. It produced 375 HP at 2850 rpm. It operated at 180 degrees and every cylinder operated at the exact same temperature. We experienced a lot of problems with the fuel injectors (provided by others) and did not make more power due to the injector delivery capability being maxed out. We were making approximately 20 psi of boost pressure ( we were looking for 30 or more). Emissions sampling was not performed.

The marine application requires what is called "steady state testing". Meeting emissions requirements with this testing is easier that with "transient testing" (highway use). I am not aware of any transient capable engines that do not currently use after treatment in order to meet emission standards. The use of after treatment eliminates many of the cylinder combustion concerns. Meeting all of the emissions requirements with these products is only a matter of working through the process. The reason I can say this with certainty is that when assembled the Buck engine becomes the same 4 valve, 4 stroke engine that everyone else produces. If others can meet emission standards so can we. Matching the fuel map of any competitor is only a matter of test cell data collection and duplication. The Buck engine is all about the way it is produced, assembled and repaired and not about some different or improved combustion event. It is also about the designs allowing the use of lighter materials and the designs increasing cooling efficiencies. Power density can only be increased with better cooling and lighter weights can only be accomplished with lighter materials. This is not exactly rocket science and if we are producing only marine engines, the use of exhaust scrubbing devices is also possible. These devices will absolutely insure success when it comes to emissions and if needed, after treatment is always available.
  15. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck Engine

Karo1776,
    It is my intention to set up production for these new engines, here in the USA. You were certainly in the money range, my estimate indicates 125 million. Using a 4 valve, 4 stroke design with a center mounted injector, meeting the emission requirements should be inevitable. I appreciate your offer to assist, I can always use another person to collaborate with. Gordon Wright is my main contact for engineering input. Gordon has some 40+ years of engine design experience and a PHD in mechanical engineering. I consider him to be both a friend and collaborator in this endeavor.

As for the funding, I am interested in selling stock and still retaining control of the marine market segment(it is less than 5% of the overall engine market). I might also like to control a couple of other small market segments (there are more than 15 possible engine market segments). I do not mind relinquishing control of the broader markets where high volumes are required. My control will be limited to no more than 10% of the engine applications for the Buck engine products.

I prefer to fund this without debt if possible. The sale of bonds will be considered only if the rate is low and the term is long. As you are aware this is a long term proposition and it is capital intensive.

I am convinced that there is room for this product in the engine market and that it will benefit the end user greatly. All engine repairs are difficult but the marine application is especially challenging for existing designs. My desire is to put a smile on the face of every mechanic that touches the Buck engine.
  16. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

Kmb1945
    Well in the USA to obtain financing from third parties other than a single private investor angel or to promote the financing even as to holding a meeting with three people two of which are investors your company needs to be registered with the SEC or US Securities and Exchange Commission, and those involved in the brokering or presentations must also be licensed as to the investment. Before any offer of or for investment can be made or taken the legal formalities must be meet. Often people think I can hold a little get together with some interested parties and get private funding. No you have to register. The costs in doing this are primarily legal fees and it must be set up by attorneys qualified in doing this. I would estimate you would spend in US funds 100,000 to 200,000 to get set up to offer investments in your company.

Once you are legally setup venture capitalists can assist in funding but when it comes to the money you need in the end you will be dealing with, or really the venture firm, with investment bankers who are about the most crafty double dealing cheats you can imagine. If you are working with venture people they know the ropes and will handle much of this. All the best.

What is strange is usually the most worthless projects get funding and the worthy go wanting. I think this is because it often happens the goal originally with entrepreneurs is to fund the idea but once they figure that out and get their first taste of investment then it becomes funding the funding and the idea is secondary. That results in well meaning people basically becoming crazies. Engine endeavors seem to draw a lot of people to them both as to the hopeful investor and hopeful inventor. Why is the large size of the market.

Sounds like you are well covered technically but are weak on the money aspect.
  17. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Would you like some hard ball questions and objective analysis from a marketing standpoint?
  18. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck Engine

All input is welcome.
  19. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

The questions I see coming up...

They are all inertia based...

1."What makes your engine special and why should I put one in my boat?"

This is easier and harder in the online world we live in

In Marketing people are used to the present brands and marketing wise now-a-days there is so much input that people categorize things and restrict their thinking to just a very few "names." How "likable is it" or the old fashioned "does it have sizzle."

2. "What real world benefit as to service does the engine provide?"

This video which I have posted before... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzrRW7vthKY what is important his that is appears the service is not hugely challenging for even for a complete repower in tight spaces ... notice they build those engines from short block up. The C-32 is smaller than a 3512b or c but it is still a large engine and that door and engine room is pretty small. Those guys got it handled.

3. "How reliable is it and can I get service anywhere in 48 hours ?"
    This is a bugaboo on yachts if I am in some place... any place... what happens if something goes wrong.

4. "Does it meet current and future emission standards ?"

I should note Cat 3500 series are not compliant with the newer standards but the C-18 and C-32 are the issue is whether classification societies and national standards will allow you to install and operate.

5. "Does it provide better or equal power production for size or weight to any readily available commercial engine ?

6. "What is its fuel consumption compared to its competitors?"

7. "What is is costs to purchase, service and operate?"
  20. kmb1949

kmb1949 New Member

Buck engine

Question 1
    The following benefits are derived from the design and not from some unique combustion event.
    1- Reduces weight as much as 50 percent
    2- Reduces repair time as much as 90 percent
    3- Reduces shipping cost on engines and parts as much as 75 percent
    4- Reduces warranty cost as much as 80 percent
    5- Reduces fuel cost as much as 15 percent
    6- Reduces parts inventories as much as 80 percent
    7- Interchangeability of parts within any engine family is over 90 percent
    8- Lowers capital equipment cost to manufacture as much as 25 percent
    9- Is capable of operating on any CI fuel without modification
    10-Changing fuels will not affect performance
    11-Reduces friction through better oiling
    12-Superior cooling to all other water cooled designs
    13-Dynamic cylinder pressure control
    14-No machining ever required during repair
    15-The designs are scalable (compact cars to locomotives)
    16-For boat applications, you will never need to damage a boat during repair

Question 2

Individual cylinder control and replacement as well as all repairs are possible from the top of the engine, even the main bearings.

Question 3

It is our intent to set up our own dealer network and eventually provide service world wide. This network will be set up during the first two years of production ramp up. Beyond that, this engine is easier to repair than anything currently in the market and parts are smaller and lighter and therefore easier to ship overnight.

Question 4

Yes, these engines will meet current and future emissions standards. Individual cylinder control and dynamic cylinder pressure monitoring will guarantee this.

Question 5

The answer to this question is YES. Due to the designs, this engine is capable of utilizing lighter materials and still maintaining durability.

Question 6

The fuel consumption will be as good or better than existing products but this engine will increase fuel economy through it's lighter weight.

Question 7

The purchase cost for these engines should be competitive with existing product offerings. All financial forecast use competitive or lower pricing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.