Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander

Teak Helm chairs

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Beau, Jul 23, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Guys help me here

I just bought two very expensive teak helm chairs from a reputable dealer. Both chairs within two week of one another had an arm break off at the grain of the teak seat to which it was attached with screws and resin. They said this has never happened to their product, and that I should send the broken ones back and they will fix them. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not a small guy, but not rotund either. Shouldn't they just send me new ones? They are welcome to have the broken one's back, if they give me their freight number. Am I being too harsh??
  2. RER

RER Senior Member

Were you present when they broke? ...and pictures would help.
  3. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Yes, pictures please.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Wood can have faults. Companies are hiring cheaper labor today. Maybe someone doesn't know to drill before screwing. That happens when your "carpente"r or "furniture builder" was a McDonalds worker last week.:rolleyes: As long as they're willing to replace / repair perfectly I'd chalk it up to things happen. They should however cover the freight. That's a cheap price to assure that your next post doesn't include their name, which would cost them thousands in lost business.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

I.E. were you or your guests sitting in them when they broke, or did your boat washer report to you that they broke?

Are there a lot of these chairs in use? If it's two chairs with the same break and it's never happened before I suspect a change in production spec or maybe a change to a supplier with inferior quality.

Are they repairable or do they require replacement? ...again, it's a guessing game without photos.
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

I have access to a marine carpenter and he is redoing both chairs for me (and strengthening them.) He thinks the teak wasn't cured properly? The epoxy held firm, but the screws pulled right out and the wood was quite soft even for teak. The arms never actually separated from the seat, just a complete longitudinal crack down a grain line on each seat right adjacent to the arm joints. The plates for the back rest kept it from breaking clean through, I think.

I found the first one when I came to the boat on a Saturday, my Son found the second one this past Sunday. I really don't know how it occurred, but it would be the kind of break you would expect by leaning heavily outward against the arm while in the chair. The arm now wiggles from side to side. I'm big, but not THAT big. If I get to the boat this week end, I'll snap a picture if the chair hasn't been taken for repair with the other.