Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Mtu oil levels

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Jw-marine, Jul 18, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jw-marine

Jw-marine New Member

Hello everyone, the boat on working in is the first I've had with MTU main engines.

Since joining the skipper has insisted that MTU told him to run the Mains with the oil level at roughly halfway if taking a measurement on the dipstick.

In theory this won't be damaging the engine but would like to hear other peoples thoughts because I'd rather see the level at full for peace of mind and for good practice.

Thankyou
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Don´t know what engines you have, but I am running all my engines, in cars, boats, lawn movers, at roughly half between the marks. They seems to like it, I never have to refill between oil changes...
  3. Carver38

Carver38 Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess he has MTU engines.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

MTU is a brand, not an engine... Diesel Engines Overview: MTU Online

I checked the 4000-series and they have a dipstick where you should be on the upper level...

Attached Files:

5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I have had a lot of MTU's where if you fill them up to the full mark at the end of the day they will be halfway. You can repeat this process over and over. But, on those engines if you leave them halfway they will stay that way. I've had many D.D., MTU's and others do this. I've noticed a good percentage of yachts are this way either due to running angle or installation angle of the engines themselves. I can't remember if MTU engines are hand scribed by the installer, or the dipsticks come pre-scribed from the factory. On Cat's they're scribed by the installer once installed in the boat and most times don't do this phenomenom.
  6. Jw-marine

Jw-marine New Member

We have a set of MTU 2000 series 16v M94

Managed to find the manuals and it's recommended that the oil level is between max and minimum so I guess in okay at halfway if that's how the skipper wants them to be run :)

Going to try and get on the Mtu manufacturer course this winter so that will hopefully be interesting!

Has anyone had experience with oil leaking on the rubber seal between the turbo intake and the air filter housing? It's a minor drip, mtu came and tightened the jubilee clips originally but it has persisted slightly! Any ideas? I don't want to tighten again incase I lose the thread on the jubilee clip
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

What he said.
  8. Jw-marine

Jw-marine New Member

Thankyou Captain Bill, just the answers I needed