Click for Glendinning Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Newmar PT24-45F Charger Issue 230v

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, Jun 7, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Were here in the Abacos and the above battery charger has quit working. It supports the house and engines. 3 banks of 6 batteries. 2 banks house and 1 bank engines. Never had the charger fail before. Read manual and it says there are some internal fuses but recommends only for a manufacturer tech. Not sure these would even fix the problem. Since this charger maintains many of the devices used on this boat I am currently and literally at a standstill. Since its Saturday there will not be anyone at the factory.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You are stuck.

You will have to do what many others do.

Get your tools out and have a go.

If it is not under warranty and is not working you have very little to lose.

Can you run your engines to charge the batteries and connect the non charged ones up temporarily with jumper cables ?

If push comes to shove you can chop up your shore power cable to get some cable.
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Newmar PT24-45F 230v charger

K1W1
    Good news is I'm at a marina and not on the hook. Bad news is the charger. Battery bank for engines is okay although haven't tried to start them. Did check voltage on those two batteries and they were okay.
    Guess I could start engines and jump power to other batteries although that would only work short term. Trying to disconnect charger to look inside to see if any breakers, fuses, etc that might be tripped. Other than that guess I'm pretty much screwed. No place is open on Saturdays that could ship or even call for support.
    It appears not many companies sell this charger based on my internet search.
    Skip
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You might just have to tough it out and get the thing open anyway you can.

Before doing this can you determine it is actually getting supplied the AC Power needed to make it run and charge the batteries?

The "internal fuses" could be to limit current in one or more of the following 3 circuits.

AC Power in but I would think this is breaker protected in the panel it is supplied from.

DC out to the batteries

Control circuit.

Even if these are soldered in you can just solder another one on to the same place, it doesn't matter if it does not fit into the clips, these type machines often have the fuses soldered in so they don't fall out in service .

For a short term get you going repair you should not worry too much how it looks as long as it works.
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Going to try and remove although not easy like most things on a boat. It is definitely getting 230v power to the unit. From there not sure.
  6. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

Too late for the OP, but why is there no battery combiner so that the house bank gets charged from the engine alternator(s) while the engine(s) is/are running? We've always had a 30-40 amp backup charger in case the main 100-120 amp charger died. Our main charger was part of the inverter/charger and it did go up in smoke one time. Glad to have had the backup.

Bob
  7. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

In trying to remove the charger in the engine room, behind the main cutoff switches for engines, gen and house I found a Xantrex Pathmaker 250/2 24v item. It has a green, yellow and red light on it. The light is in the yellow mode and when I try to reset it will go to green until I release the switch and it goes back to yellow. Not sure what this device is connected to or whether it has anything to do with the Newmar battery charger? Anyone shed any light on this product and what it does?

Another question the battery overheat cable that runs from the battery charger to the battery box was wired at the factory so the plug will not go through the hole in the side of the battery panel so will have to cut and try to run new cable to battery box which might be an issue getting it there. Temporary no problem will just lay in battery compartment but won't be run through any chase like the other one.
  8. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

10. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Okay what does a battery combiner do? Does it have any impact on the battery charger? I started the engines and gen and noticed that there were now two lights on the combiner. Red was flashing and yellow stead.

Yes that is it. Pathmaker 250
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Read the manuals provided by the posted links then if there are further questions post away. Right now no one knows if what has been offered in the links is what you actually have.
  12. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Yes that is it. Pathmaker 250 with red light flashing and yellow light steady. I did read it but still confused. Could this be because the charger is unwired from ac power.
  13. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Just in case you are not able to download the PDF, here's some listed troubleshooting.

Oops. Just noticed you were able to read the PDF.

Maybe this will save some back and forth time.

Lights Please 1.jpg

Lights Please 2.jpg

Lights Please 3.jpg

Lights Please 4.jpg

Lights Please 5.jpg
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If there is a remote control for battery switching etc that is connected to this is it possible this has been turned off accidentally?

You posted this before.

Why do you now wonder if the charger is "unwired"?
  15. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

No remote control that I am aware of. In my 5 yrs of owning this boat it is the first time I've seen the combiner.
    I have unwired the charger to replace one that I just ordered. Will have end of week if boat makes it over.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I hope it works out as planned, please keep us updated to the end result.
  17. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

18. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Will definitely do. I hated to cut the cable running from the charger to the batteries to sense overheat conditions but was not able to remove charger without cutting.
  19. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I cant copy and paste that but the arrgt you seek is on Page 12 of the link posted.

If you PM me your e mail addy I can send you the whole pdf