Click for Burger Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Westport

Alfa Laval

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by NEO56, Jun 2, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Has anyone had any real world experience with Alfa Laval fuel systems? I'm considering having it installed in my new build. A. Are they worth the money, and B. Do they work as advertised?

Any feedback would be helpful.
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Yes, yes and yes.

How large is your new build?
  3. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Without a doubt its money well spent especially if you intend to cruise international waters
  4. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hi Capt Bill,
    She's a 95 with a 10 foot cockpit...so 105. She has a 24 foot beam. I've gotten a little freaked out knowing the Tier III engines common rail's operate with 30,000 psi through the injectors, and any particulates over 2 microns can cause serious problems with the fuel system...so I'm trying to do this right the first time. I spoke with a friend of mine in California today who owns a water technology company, and he told me about ceramic filters to get particulates down below 1 microns. I've never heard of them...but I want to get my fuel as clean as possible prior to going into the engines.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

The type and size of centrifuge you would put on your new boat will remove 90 percent of particulates between 3 and 5 microns, about 70 percent of those below 3 microns, and about 90 percent of free water.

There is a big difference between marine fuel treatment and shoreside water filtration. I would avoid anyone who suggests that installing sub micron filters in a marine fuel system is a practical idea.

The engine manufacturer installs, specifies, and even sells, secondary filters that meet the fuel quality specifications required to allow that engine to perform up to specifications and last for the warranty period.

Anything else is snake oil and wishful thinking, and just might create conditions that you don't want to experience and may not be able to control.
  6. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I read an article recently about the fuel filter supplied on the engine (final filter) by the manufacturer, and that it was best to relocate that filter so that if it was needed to change that filter underway, next to a hot engine, was not practical. It was recommended that the engine filter be re-routed away to a safer location for long distance cruising. Not something that I had considered before....but certainly makes sense.
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Who wrote that article? A class society, the accident investigation branch of a national maritime authority, or some guy writing in a boating magazine who has changed more toner cartridges in his printer than fuel filters on a hot or a cold engine?

The best way in the world to avoid worrying about falling into a hot engine to change a secondary fuel filter underway is to take care of the fuel as it is loaded, while it is stored, and maintain the primary filters. If you do that, the need to worry about the secondaries is reduced to the chances of hitting an iceberg in Tampa Bay.

Call me cynical but what is it about boat fuel systems that beg operators to modify them with super filters, magnets, and "polishing" systems?
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

It might have been on the internet so it must be true.

I would not relocate the filters myself, I would just practice good fuel husbandry as suggested above.

I can't remember the last time I changed a primary filter underway let alone a secondary don't think I have ever changed one of those on a yacht underway.
  9. captholli

captholli Senior Member

For a vessel your size a Alfa Laval MAB 303 would be a good fit. it's a disc bowl centrifugal separator that just a smaller version of the larger units. Very reliable and easy to operate and service. small foot print and good flow rate $11,000 to $14,000 depending on install and options / auto rinse etc. The best money you can spend for your fuel tanks and machinery as these machines are used to constantly "polish" or clean your fuel when you run them to not only transfer from tank to tank but just run it for a few days at a time to recirculate your fuel in the tanks when you can monitor the machine and its water seal alarms. I've been on vessels with other brands of centrifuges and found them to be not the same quality of Alfa Laval.
  10. NEO56

NEO56 Member

It was an article in the archives of Passage Maker.
  11. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Well, that explains it very well. SD was the author right?
  12. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I believe it was...not the most reliable source I gather??
  13. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Thanks captholli, I had heard that Alfa Laval's require constant cleaning...I'm assuming that they were getting really nasty fuel. It's nice to get some positive feedback. If cleaner fuel will keep my engines running nice and clean, that's less money I have to spend on them, then it's money well spent. Again, thank you for your input.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Just remember if fitting an auto cleaning Fuel Purifier you will have a quantity of water to dispose of and this cannot go straight over the side as it will be carrying fuel residues.

Welcome to the rules and regulations end of the business that applies to all players, recreational and commercial alike.
  15. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If my memory is still working correctly, Alpha Laval was highly respected when I worked in the atomic energy industry back in the 60's.
  16. captholli

captholli Senior Member

K1W1 brings up a good point, your slops tank or dirty lube oil tank will be pumped out a bit more often than you would without a centrifuge. The MAB 303 has it's own waste sump attached that's maybe 3 gallons that can be drained manually but in real life should be plumbed directly into your slops tank. As far as cleaning is concerned it's just a matter of washing the plates with a bit of diesel and wiping the bowl out , forty five minute job once you get the hang of it on the small unit. I've run heavy charter schedules and have cleaned units twice a year and the flip side of the coin is that I've done relief jobs where the tanks had heavy alge and condensation and had to clean the suction side stainless steel strainer filter daily and the plates once a month. The MAB 303 offers this strainer filter as an option I believe and I highly recommend that one is fitted on the suction side or you'll be cleaning the plate more often along with your Racor primary's 2020's. It Just depends on the fuel that you take on and how you then maintain that fuel once its in your tanks.