Click for JetForums Click for Delta Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay

Proper engine start up

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by gr8trn, May 31, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Hello,
    I am curious as to the proper steps involved in starting the engine.
    Cummins QSB 5.9 380 HO, CDM smartcraft vesselview.

I have witnessed many boats get started with the shore power still plugged in and on. I have always (in my old yanmar sailboat) turned off shore power, unplug shore power cord, hold the glow plug for a minute, hold the kill switch and crank three to four times to circulate some oil, then fire away.

Do you unplug, do you shut off shore power at your panel, do you always start starboard before port, how long do you wait between firing up each side...?

I am planning on starboard first and after visual check of water and exhaust and engine room (I like to see that no water/oil/fuel is spraying around down there:eek:) I will fire up the port engine.

I would love to read some of your habits for engine start both when you are pulling out and when you are staying put and just doing some maintenance.

Thank you,
    -Greg
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Generally I start the generator, wait a few mins, turn off the battery chargers, transfer shorepower to generator. Then I start the engines, then turn on the electronics, turn the battery chargers back on, let engines warm to a good temp.....at least 130F if not more if they'll get there idling with no load, you can take the shorepower cord off anytime after you've transferred power.
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Capt J, I'm curious about running battery chargers while the mains are running? I can see running a charger, say for a thruster bank. My boat has only one charger, but I turn it off when the main engines are running and (hopefully) charging the batteries with their alternators.
  4. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Thank Capt J,
    I like it, by not cutting shore power before generating power and then switching, you won't lose all of the 110VAC settings like on microwave clocks:)

Do you simply leave the generator running while you are running so that you have the ability to run air conditioning and other systems with out relying on inverted power only?

I am new to having a genset on board. Looking forward to the new lifestyle it affords! The St. Bernard does not like to be too hot, pant, pant, pant.

Thanks.
  5. RER

RER Senior Member

I drive a lot of different boats but my routine is usually always the same. After ER check I start the generator first, then the mains, starboard then port. After that I switch the AC power from shore to generator, turn on electronics, unplug, untie and go. By then everything has had a chance to warm up.

I leave battery chargers on all the time. Alternators take over when underway. I almost always run the generator but if it's a short trip and I don't need it I don't run it. Don't run a generator without a load on it. I usually keep inverters off, I don't like them. Depends on the boat and the way it's set up. I don't run stuff that doesn't need to be on.
  6. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

Thanks RER for taking the time to go over your routine. Like you said, not generator with no load.

If you have the genset off due to no load, do you start it back up when you come in and tie off so that you can keep AC power going before switching back to shore power?
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

You will unless you have a seamless transfer setup where your vessel and the dockside supply can be synchronised momentarily while the supply is changed over.

You will get a longer life out of your breakers and or switches used for the changeover if you can switch with as low a current as possible due to the arcing that opening and closing while under a heavy load will cause.
  8. gr8trn

gr8trn Senior Member

K1W1,
    Roger that, no transfer set up so we will keep the loads to a trickle before flipping switches to lessen the stress on the switches and breakers.
    Thanks!
  9. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Exactly the way I do it as well. Always leave the battery charger on.
  10. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

RER. What do t you like about inverters?
  11. RER

RER Senior Member

Poor installation methods such as draining the house batteries (or all batteries) rather than an isolated bank for inverter use only. This is a common problem that I run across, but it can be easily corrected.

I don't like automatic stuff. I don't want an inverter kicking in automatically if I lose my generator underway. When a system fails I don't want it automatically hidden from me - I want to be aware of it. I've had it happen. So I shut them off.

Another PITA about inverters is boat owners who have little understanding of the technology and think they can run everything on the boat, at anchor, without the generator, forever, because they've got an inverter.

That about covers it.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Alot of the marinas in N/E FL and S/E GA are in shallow / silty water. When I know silt is going to get kicked up (sand & silt) during dockside manunevers, I prefer not to have the Gen-set or Air systems running.

One of our customers has his Gen-set pickup near centerline between his wheels. Clogs up the Onan H/E near every time he comes in.

Our ship has an inverter. I am a big fan of inverters and have discussed them a few times on YF. Except for the Air systems, compressors and water makers, everything else is on and it's own battery bank is charged by a second alternator mounted on our port main. Our inverter batteries can last all night at anchor (on a cool night) we have just enough juice for the morning coffee. Big TV, house sized fridge, & a few computers with screens.

However, A few boats I have been on, The A/C equipment does run thru / off the inverters. Nice auto system; when on dockside power, 240vac goes thru the inverters. Turn the dockside power off, inverters kick in. Between 1.5 to 2 hours later (A/Cs running) the gen-set gets a signal to auto start / stop and maintains the batteries. Perfect operation for the 4 years + that I've known one boat in particular.

Better inverters have come a long way in a few years. Some people do have their reservations and that's cool also.
  13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I think it is also better on the genny to load it gradually instead of a big lump of current racing from the windings to the panel board all at one time. At least on the smaller sets...
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree, as well as allowing the engine to build some coolant temperature before loading it up.
  15. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Can some of this be helped/managed with the delay control that can be programmed in many AC unit thermostats? If I remember correctly I had the 4 marineair units on our Tiara set with various delays so that when I switched the power over the compressors came on at different times so there wasn't 1 large draw all at once.

As for firing order on the mains I generally alternated as having been accused of being a little OCD, I would get a rash if my hour meters were even 1/10th off.
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I am familiar with that feeling