Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights

NEED HELP to remove Glass

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jim Jones, May 27, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jim Jones

Jim Jones New Member

I have a 1991 Silverton 46 Motor Yacht and I shattered the starboard Salon Sliding window this weekend. I thought I would take out the port slider glass and take it to the local Glass shop and have a new one made. The problem is I can not figure out how to get the sliding glass out. HELP !! The glass shows to be made by Taylor Made and you would think the glass would lift up enough to come out of the bottom of the frame but it is about 1/4 inch shy.
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Your best bet is to contact Silverton and Taylor. There may be a shim under the window track that you can remove to get the extra 1/4" you need to remove the window.
  3. Jim Jones

Jim Jones New Member

Spoke to both Silverton and Taylor Made today neither could give me instructions on how to remove the window.
  4. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

So much for customer service. I'd look at if there are shims under the tracks.
  5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones New Member

Good news on the window replacement. I called a local glass company and they came out measured and matched the window perfectly they not only made a new glass for the boat but they installed a plexiglass window so we could use the boat as it took three weeks to get the new one.

When in doubt call a professional.
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Some years ago I worked a 50 Viking SC whose windshields leaked. My thought was to call a local glass company, but we were putting the boat up for winter. So I figured I'd give the job to the yard and they'd get the glass guy they knew. Instead they turned the job over to the yard carpenter (I guess to keep more money in house). In the end I came very close to finding myself in jail for murder. When we had leaks with Valhalla's window I went straight to a glass man, and he did us right.