Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Abeking Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno

Aluminum hull bow thruster easier or harder?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Danvilletim, May 18, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Aluminum hull bow thruster easier or harder than fiberglass? (62' striker)

Anything to watch out for?
  2. ArielM

ArielM Senior Member

the big issue with this i would think is welding on 20-30 year old aluminum that has been submerged in salt water all these years. Aluminum should be very clean anytime welding is done. Not that it can't be welded, but i would assume it makes it harder. still faster then glass though...
  3. Danvilletim

Danvilletim Senior Member

Older aluminum less weld able? Audio gauge came out with no noticeable loss.
  4. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Aluminum gets a build up on the surface that has to be removed to a shiny surface before it can be welded. It also tends to crack when it gets old. It can be done, they weld up old crew boats all of the time
  5. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

Friend of mine ran a 62' striker, Hakvoort built, installed a hydraulic American bow thruster. No issues and it was a great help getting that thing to move off a dock or maneuver in tight quarters with all that windage. My profile name is in honor or the owner, he was a very friendly guy and we got to use the boat whether he was around or not. Love those boats. Love the beam!