Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

Need bottom paint removal advice/vendor

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Captain Jim, May 8, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Captain Jim

Captain Jim New Member

Planning my haul out for mid June and need to remove the thick layer of bottom paint before repainting. Looking for advice on soda blasting and any good referrals. Boat is an 82 footer with fiberglass hull. Hauling out in Palm Beach Gardens, Fl. Did a chem strip on my 27' Tiara years ago and was not happy with that process.

Thanks,

Jim
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've had a bottom media blasted by Barry Brown Marine and Cable Marine. Both did a very good job and all that was left was the gelcoated bottom......The one boat BBM did was a 45' Searay Sedan Bridge and stripping all of those layers picked up close to 3 knots of speed.
  3. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

If you are (or even if you are not) getting hauled at Seminole yard call or stop in and visit Seaworthy Services and speak with Randy or Wes. They've done my bottom several times and will have the capability, or steer you in the right direction for a paint removal/soda blaster outfit (IDK if they have the machine to blast themselves; but they can certainly do the paint afterwards). Honest people and excellent work, and while the office is at Seminole they work anywhere. They provide many services in addition to bottom paint.
  4. Captain Jim

Captain Jim New Member

Thanks for the replies. I am happy to hear your end results Capt J. I have read some horror stories on some older threads. Bamboo, I have worked with Randy at Seaworthy in the past. I will give him a call.
  5. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Capt Jim

I had mine blasted about 12 years ago (I think they used walnut shells??). 5-6 coats of interlux barrier, and ablative bottom paint every second year. Boat stays in year round. Bottom will be good for another 12, easily! Good luck with yours