Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Ocean Alexander

Stray current

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 1000 islands, Apr 5, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

In another thread (Carver) a member posted about feeling the stray current in the water while swimming around his boat any time it was plugged in or the generator was running.

Help me here, how does one feel the current, what does it feel like?
  2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

He was lucky to survive and most unusual if you survive to tell what it feels like, milliamps can kill you.
    Prof. divers will not dive a boat when it's plugged in or running on gen set or with depth sounder on.
  3. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Every diver I know of cleans boat bottoms with the boat plugged in. It's a very very rare occurence that any electricity will be in the water like that.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Agree with Capt J. I've never seen a diver ask to have a boat unplugged. I've felt stray current in the water a few times, generally from dock wires that get submerged. No big deal. Feels tingly, itchy. There's a lot of water available to disperse the current in. Definitely not saying jump in next to a live wire, but if a wire goes in in Boston you don't get electrocuted in NY.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Fresh water lakes seem to be more deadly. I think there there was an Article on this site about the young boys swimming near a houseboat on a lake. Killed them both. I have had divers ask to unplug my boat as a precaution when diving on the boat next door.

I will look for the article. It was scarey.
  7. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Perhaps if divers would read PADI guidelines for divers on this issue, it may save a life or two and maybe a lawsuit saving your family fortune...YMMV
  8. MaxPower

MaxPower Senior Member

9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Can you find an article stating the last time someone was electrocuted, diving underneath a boat? I'm sure it has happened, but you have better odds getting eaten by a shark in a marina, which again is practically unheard of.
  10. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

This reads as a freshwater problem?
    Very sad when the cause can so easily be avoided as per Maxpower's links.

Questions for the electrically minded; if a shore power lead is connected with a circuit breaker on the switchboard, would a leak from the dock/pontoon not trigger the breaker?

Also, regarding the generator running while diving, something I have never concerned myself with or read in the PADI training (Rescue Diver level) there is this in the link Awareness About Electrical Shock:
    "Note that 12-volt electricity will not cause ESD. Nor will 120-volt current from a boat's generator unless another boat (with an electrical fault) is sharing electricity from the generator via a power cord."
  11. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

If a freshwater boat is fizzing that much. Boy, you'll know it.:eek:

A good ground on your genset and all the outlets should be fine.
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Growing up on salt water

This thread has prompted me to do a little digging. Spending my life on salt water, this was never considered a problem. Evidently that's because salt water is a good conductor. Fresh water is not, and the current would prefer to pass through a body. As I mentioned earlier I've felt current in the water, but it was nothing more than a tingle. I'll be a lot more cautious in fresh water in the future, although there's not a ton of precautions you can take other than don't swim near marinas.
  13. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

14. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

A regular breaker only sees a load. It can't tell what the load is. As long as the load is less than the rating of the breaker, it thinks it is doing it's job.

The leaking voltage & current might have enough resistance to make it look like a small load to the breaker but could be a deadly current to your heart and nervous system.

I was taught that it takes only 1/5th of an amp 1/10th of a second to kill you if the in the correct scenario. Those might not be the scientifically correct numbers but it is still a fact that it does not take alot of current to kill you.

Why is a GFCI receptacle set for 5 milli-Ampere

New National Electric Code guide lines require GFCI breakers to feed the outlets in commercial marinas now. I think this was enacted in 2011 code cycle. These are equipment type GFCI's and not as sensitive as your home, personal protective GFCIs.
  15. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Is there a simple way to check if there is any stray current using a multi-meter?
  16. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member