Click for Mulder Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Westport Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno

Bore scope camera

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Capt Ralph, Apr 4, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I'm trying to crawl around, over, under this motor. The boat Mfg placed fuel tanks just (inches) outboard of the MAN V-8-900. The saloon deck is a few inches over the top and the stringers near surround the oil pan. My skinny boy does all he can to change that outside air filter.
    There is an oil leak over there somewhere. My cell phone camera at arms reach can take some pictures but I can not aim or position well to capture any images between all the plumbing and stuff. I'm sure it's one of the rocker covers but not positive enough to smartly chase after it. Could be a turbo oil line.

If I could just pull out my James Bond remote eyeball on a stick thingie..

Thread topic;
    Bore scope camera.
    I don't have one. Maybe can pass it by my boss (wife) if I can get some positive feedback on a cost reduced (cheap) model. Need semi-rigid snake, maybe 2 + feet long, think a color rig is important?
    Decent display.

So, any of you kids out there have some direction and recommendations?

thx,
    Ralph.
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

For a cheaper alternative, just put a webcam on the end of an antenae type stick . I have an extendable, flexible type flashlight. Hook a webcam to that and it lights & camera.

P.S. I once got stuck on the outside of a motor. Had to slither out backwards like a snake. I think all boaters feel your pain.:D
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

5. blkexp98

blkexp98 New Member

You may want to look into some of the HD USB endoscope cameras. They can be had for very cheap and may work on a tablet. I haven't tried it yet but if not they should work on a laptop. The focus distance is going to be something you need to consider. I thought about the USB one for myself for checking engine cylinders but it was a little too big in diameter with a mirror attachment. Something like a webcam could also be made to work well if you can come up with a suitable bending shaft so it will hold position.

Think about your application and what you really want to see (how far away too). That will dictate how far out of the box we can go. The webcam with a laptop would probably give you some great results and even be in high resolution.

Major
  6. Trak

Trak Member

I lost a wrench under deck of my cc, between a stringer and fuel tank. I could touch it with tips of fingers but couldn't see it. I was afraid it would put a hole in tank after a while. On eBay I found an endoscope camera for $39. It was supposed to be waterproof and everything. It also had a light on the end. Hooked up USB to laptop. With endoscope and a cleverly bent hangar I was able to retrieve wrench. With software that was included it would take pics or video.

On night while anchored Wardwick Wells Bahamas, I figured I would lower it to the bottom and watch the fish go by. Worked great for 10 minutes then I found out it wasn't really waterproof.

Should work great for you though.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Some good ideas kids. I thank you.
    I have a wire-less security cam (D-linc) the wife (she's smart) recommended a try with it. The size of a big pack of cigarettes it to big.
    I was thinking one of those snake cams could be directed under the air filter, between the tubes & hoses, down the side to where I think the leak (s) is.
    Depth of field I would hope to be around 10 inches. Field width should be real sized.
    Endoscope is a new term , have to look that up more in detail.

Remember, I thought I was high tech with my telescoping mirror and led flashlight.

Thx,
    rc
  8. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Endoscopy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since you have access to a usb port on the Admiral's pc, how about one of these?

16ft 5M USB Borescope Endoscope Inspection Camera
  9. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

We just did a job this morning on an 85' commercial Cat running twin Cummins. The lift pump, now an electronic unit bolted right onto the ECU (Well done Cummins, big magnets next to a ECU, good placement!!!) Dorks.

Anyway, the 5 hour job took less than 2 hours, the tricky bit was getting the socket that was dropped into the bilge. Mini-Cam was a great asset. The springy-fingered arm soon picked it up.

Welcome, Gentlemen, to the 21st Century.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The magnets on the telescoping stick are a great tool for that also.