Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

what size trip line ?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by firedreamer, Mar 28, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. firedreamer

firedreamer New Member

I have a 42' aft cabin at about 30,000lbs with a 66lb Bruce on her. Am wondering how big a line do you all think I should use as a trip line on the anchor ? I can't imagine It needs to big real big, maybe 1/2" or so ? OK thanks again. We cant wait to spend the summer cruising the Puget Sound :D
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Trip line for an anchor? I never ever use one of those, and neither do most people I know, and I don't think you would be strong enough to use one on a 66lb anchor with chain stuck on the bottom either......
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I was almost there,,,,,,
    Glad Skippy J broke the ice.
    (Faster typing skills I assume.)..

I keep reading about trip or retrieval lines for anchors. I have NEVER had, used, or encouraged an anchor trip line.. One rode in da water is enough confusion for most boters (uh ah). Gad, was there a question on this on da big test??

Foul weather anchoring is a great and different subject.

Yep, It's in mainly a manual and guide, but I've never been there or used it.

Can anybody admit to using a trip/retrieval line and prove it's cost / lost to us?

Now, If you want to learn about real sea-man-ship stay close to our forums here.

" On a dark and stormy night.....,"

,rc
  4. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Vaguely remember at the end of a day of deep sea fishing with my grandmother on a party boat and they used an inflatable fender to assist the removal and raising of the anchor; but not a trip line.

Using an Anchor Ball | Boating Safety
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Yep
    Why pull an anchor up from the depths when you just need to pull in wet nylon (and floating hardware) from abeam. Anchor lifting / retrieval floats / balls have been around and it's a good practice.
    IT'S NOT A TRIP LINE.
  6. firedreamer

firedreamer New Member

Ahh hum, I guess maybe I didn't express my question the correct way? I have had anchor retrieval balls in the past and ya they work pretty good.
    What I meant by a "trip line" was not something to lift my anchor and chain back up on to the boat, but to pull it 5 ft along the bottom, out from under whatever it may be hung up on. Like maybe a cable or someones old lost anchor/chain or maybe just hooked on some rocks etc.
    The plan is to stay for the most part in 30' - 50' of water here in the Puget Sound when we do anchor out and I don't like the idea of having a trip line attached to a float so that some boater might come along thinking its a mooring buoy or a lost float or whatever. Worse would be someone running their boat over it.
    I have seen and read about attaching a small floating line just long enough to reach the surface if i am straight over my anchor after retrieving the rode/chain and finding it's stuck. The line say 50' is attached to the crown of the anchor and then zip tie it back up the chain say at 35' or 40' so it wants to float above the chain and what ever may be on the bottom. I cant imaging that 40' or 50' of a good quality 3/8 or 1/2 " poly line would have enough buoyancy to impact the chain staying on the bottom. OK well what say you all ?
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The lifting ball comments may have been a distraction, But I was with you.

Anytime I've had a snagged anchor, I've let out slack, gone up stream and pulled backwards.

My Bruce, chain & rode could be a great loss, They always come back.

If you know your going to anchor around wrecks, a trip line would not help anyway if the anchor fouled. That's when you use a wreck anchor or a cheapie.

KISS

,rc
  8. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I have used trip lines on a float from time to time and they can work well when needed.

In your case I would use a plasma type floating line. That way you could keep the line diameter small but have plenty of line strength if you needed to attach the line to your windlass capstan (if you have one) to pull the anchor off the bottom.
  9. firedreamer

firedreamer New Member

Thanks Capt Bill, I do have a windlass and the Plasma Line is a great idea. I will look into that. I know that a fairly small line out of that stuff is pretty strong ! Not to sure of how expensive it is, but worth a look-"sea" LOL
  10. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

I've picked it up pretty cheap on eBay from time to time.