Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Furuno

Sick Cat 3160's

Discussion in 'Engines' started by cptmik, Mar 22, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. cptmik

cptmik New Member

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a 48ft flybridge cruiser with a pair of 3160 cats. She is from 1978 with only 800 odd hours on the engines. Both engines are leaking fuel from the fuel pumps, which I am told is an internal O-ring. My problem is I have been given an estimate of up to 6k each to rebuild them. Does anyone know of a good source of cat 3160 parts.

Mik
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Around 2 years ago I had a pair of leaking fuel pumps rebuilt on a pair of 3208's which are very similar engines. Access to those pumps to remove them is, AFAIK not easy. There was a fair amount of labor in the R & R. It seems to me that the total bill was around $2,500. total for both. I can pull the file and tell you for sure. I'd get a second quote on that one.
  3. cptmik

cptmik New Member

Thanks Eric,

I was expecting something like that but the fuel pumps are the big difference, 3208 is a V shaped and 3160 are straight.
  4. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

3160 is a v8 engine. Perhaps you're referring to a 3116 which is indeed a straight 6.
  5. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

He's talking about the injector pump. The 3160 used a straigh injector pump and the 3208 has a v shaped pump. It's not that hard to remove the injector pump. You have to pay attention to the timing.
  6. cptmik

cptmik New Member

I was referring to the shape of the fuel pump
  7. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

The fuel pump is on the right hand side of the block. The "injector" pump is on the top of the engine in the lifter valley. You need to make sure it's not leaking fuel into the oil pan. Why do you think the engines need rebuilt?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Probably from fuel leaking into the oil pan and washing the bearings, if I had to guess.
  9. cptmik

cptmik New Member

The engines are fine, its just the injector pumps that need rebuilding