Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service

Solar Panels, new technologies

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by brian eiland, Feb 27, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Ceramic material for solar panels could make them cheaper, more efficient

A unique solar panel design made with a new ceramic material points the way to potentially providing sustainable power cheaper, more efficiently, and requiring less manufacturing time. It also reaches a four-decade-old goal of discovering a bulk photovoltaic material that can harness energy from visible and infrared light, not just ultraviolet light.

This affordable sun-powered future could be closer than we think thanks to early tests on this new material, which was developed by a team led by scientists at the University of Pennsylvania and Drexel University. The tests were conducted, in part, at the Advanced Photon Source housed at the U.S. Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory.

The team created a new class of ceramic materials that has three main benefits. First, it can produce a solar panel that is thinner than today's silicon-based market leaders by using one material to do the work of two. Second, it uses cheaper materials than those used in today's high-end thin-film solar panels. Third, the material is ferroelectric, which means it can switch polarity, a key trait for exceeding the theorized energy-efficiency limits of today's solar cell material.

...more here:
    Designfax – Technology for OEM Design Engineers
  2. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

With 2 electric cars and an electric boat I am all for it, the more and the less expensive, the better.

(Now if I just could figure out how to make my two gasoline emergency generators in the garage electric, life would be swell :D)
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Move away from an FP & L area and you won't need them.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ha, not a bad advice.

That being said, we have not had a bad hurricane in 8-9 years and if my luck holds, I will just start the emergency generators twice a year and do the occasional oil and fuel change. (No oil filters on them things. :confused:)

Seriously considering a small solar array on my garage roof, perhaps 3KW:
    Good news on top of this thread about prices coming down with new technology.

Happiness is letting the Sol cool my beer..;)
  5. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

In the meantime, here's a little vid to stir the cobwebs - only 5 steps.

FREE Hidden Electricity!
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Nah, that is Red-Neck stuff, steal electricity..

I'd rather have God pay for it with his Big Sun.:p
  7. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Think.

Who pays for the electricity to power the phone?

Either you pay someone when you pay a bill or it's free - no theft here.