Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

Seabrace - Shaft Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Danlakemich, Feb 7, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Danlakemich

Danlakemich New Member

I have the old Wilcox Seabrace Stabilizers. One of the fins is frozen. I'm trying to pull it apart to fix it but unclear exactly how to get it to come apart. I was hoping someone on the forum has experience taking these apart and could give me some guidance. I've removed the fin, removed the 12 bolts on both the top of the cylinder and the bottom. Every single bolt I can find is removed yet I can't get it to drop out of the boat. The fin was completely frozen but after some light hammer work, I can spin it 360 using a hammer. It' won't spin by hand. I'm having no success getting it to come down though. It just spins in place. I have tried to tap it from above but it doesn't move. Any wisdom you can throw my way would be greatly appreciated. I bought the boat last spring and I'm sure these haven't been apart in a very long time.

FYI - My one picture inside the engine room shows the 12 bolts still in place around that collar. I have removed them. Just didn't take an updated pic.

Attached Files:

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The bolts around the flange should stay in place. These make the sandwich attachment to the hull. The sleeve assembly is frozen and if I recall, usually presses out.
    All my notes on that stuff was lost in da fire (divorce #2) long ago.

I found mark@giovanniello.com on the web for updating this old stuff. Send him a note and maybe he can get an IPB to you.
    Good luck,
    rc