Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

Sea strainers/seacocks with patina green

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, Jan 16, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Just wondering whether anyone has found a product that will easily remove the patina color that forms on the brass/bronze seacocks. I realize it doesn't hurt anything just would like to make it go away and don't want to scrub with a wire brush as not worth it.
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

As an fyi, the patina color is called verdigris. I'm sure you're looking for a better answer than this, but just thought I would throw it out there.
  3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have heard Lemon Juice works but the green is actually a protective layer so it does no harm leaving it there.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Brush them with Ospho, it will bring them to a bright bronze. Once they're clean, then spray them down monthly with Corrossion Block.
  5. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

What K1W1 said. But most any acid or acid based cleaning product will do the trick. If you want to keep it off for a long time after you clean them, try coating them with a ceramic clear coat. Other wise you could just clean them and paint them white.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't mind whether the seacocks are a shiny bronze, or green.....but for some reason I cannot stand when they're painted white......don't ask me why.......LOL I think because you can see a natural seacock from far away......whereas if it's white and you have white hose going to it, you have to get much closer to really see it's condition and if there is a leaking fitting or something (as dried salt it white also).
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I've heard that Preparation H works wonder ...

For a number of a n a l problems":)

Sorry couldn't resist... I wish all I had to worry about was a bit of vert de Gris on my strainers :)
  8. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

"Learn something new every day", they say.

Thank you.

P.S.- Probably why some give me a strange look when I mention aerugo. ;)