Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for Abeking

Deep Cycle House Batteries

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by agskinner, Nov 19, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. agskinner

agskinner New Member

Hi Folks,
    I looking to replace the 4-6 volt L16 batteries I have for my house batteries at the moment. A friend of mine, and a fellow boater, has been talking about the 2 volt deep cycle fork lift batteries. He tells me that they are almost unbreakable for using as house batteries. He owns a battery supply store, so I'm guessing that he knows what he's talking about. I have a 110 volt fridge on my Carver 4207, so I'm looking to get as much battery power as possible into the original battery footprint, so that my fridge won't kill my batteries while anchored.
    Any Ideas or suggestions?
    Al:confused:
  2. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

2 Volt fork lift batteries

They are the best !!!

These type of batteries are the absolut best type of deep cycle house batteries for marine type use. They come in many sizes, are maintenance free, can be mounted vertically and horizontally (very usefull for the larger versions) and do not need ventilated space. They last for 10 to 15 years and work perfectly with inverters. But they are not cheap and they are no toys and should be installed by professionals.

I have used them for years in my different sailboats and in our commercial ships (SOLAS). We are very happy with them. On my current larger sail boat with its mild hybrid setup, I have a very large house battery bank of 2 x 24 Volt, 2700 Ah, concisting of 24, 2 Volt Batteries, 168 kg each. They are standing in the keel and below the waterline, acting also as "intelligent" ballast of almost 5.000 kg including wiring and mounting.

Look at the US homepage of Mastervolt. They show an excellent matrix of what type of battery is best for its purpose. Also the matrix is used for directing the customer towards their Lio batteries, it shows clearly the qualities of this type of 2 Volt traction battery for marine use.

This is one of the reasons, the Navy is using them for their Subs. Unless weight is a major concern, do not go for Lio batteries. Much more expensive and very dangerous when mistreated.

Mastervolt is not the only provider of this type of battery. I only picked them as an example.

Below examples of the 280 Ah and 2700 Ah variants of this type of battery. The pictures are out of scale. The 2700 Ah is much higher than the 280 Ah (15,7 inches versus 32,1 inches).

Attached Files:

3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Also take a look at Discover marine batteries by Discover Energy Corp.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I can attest that I've seen many boats with 7-10 year old Mastervolts that are still functioning fine.
  5. Dave Stranks

Dave Stranks Member

2 Volt fork lift batteries

----------------------------------------------------------------

They are the best !!!

We use them on our house 24 volt to inverters 8 years no problems
    24x 2 v in parallel & series.
    And we use them hard or all 110 & 220 inverted power
  6. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I would like to suggest: Trojan L16H-AC's combined with a Flow-Rite Pro-Fill Battery Watering System
  7. lobo

lobo Senior Member

Those 2V cells are built by Exide in Berlin, in the old Sonnenschein plant, and then branded by Mastervolt and others.
    I bought them direct from Exide. They are the best cells around, had them operating high loads, for a long time, without a flaw.
    Check out the factory direct pricing from Exide, you'll be in for a sur"price"!
    lobo
  8. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

+ 1 from my side !

My batteries in the sail boat and the commercial ones are genuine EXIDE batteries also. To my knowledge, Mastervolt does not produce anything. They are only a dutch trading company, that just places their label on these products. Mastervolt has such an effective marketing, that one could believe, Mastervolt is the biggest producer of electrical yacht equipment in Europe. They are NOT !!

On some components like inverters, chargers and isolation transformers, there are IMO other companies (producer !) on the market with much better performance, quality and durability, like Victron Energy for example.

I only named Mastervolt as an example because of their easy to use homepage.

"Not every dealer is Dutch, but every Dutch is a dealer" :)
  9. Chasm

Chasm Senior Member

Also don't forget that the charging system has to fit your particular battery chemistry and type.
    Making your battery up from very nice 2V industrial cells won't increase performance at all if the charger does not fit. Don't forget that you may have multiple charging systems (AC, integrated into an inverter, alternators on the engine, ...) on your yacht.

Two advantages of single cell batteries not mentioned so far:
    You can put some distance between cells. Not greatest idea since it means permanent additional losses but it may get you around space restrictions.
    You can replace singe cells instead the whole thing.

PS: 4 tons batteries alone, that's quite a bit of multi purpose lead. :D