Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights

Where to Buy Powercool for 12v92's

Discussion in 'Engines' started by DOCKMASTER, Nov 11, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

One of my winter maintenance items this year will be to replace all of the hoses and clamps on the fresh water side of my 12v92TA's. I've already ordered the hoses and clamps but wondering if there is anywhere I can buy Powercool concentrate besides the Detriot Diesel dealers? I want to stick with the Powercool as I know the engines are pretty sensitive to having the proper coolant. I was just hoping there might be a place to buy it cheaper since I need like 12.5 gallons per engine.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Detroit Diesel is the only place to buy it. BUT, Being in Alaska you're better off with the coolant designed for the 12v92's and not Powercool which has no antifreeze. I think DD designates it as G92 coolant, but check with your dealer.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks for the reply and info. Looks like you are correct and Powercool does not have antifreeze properties which clearly I need. Doing a little checking around and it looks like Chevron Delo Extended Life Antifreeze meets the specs for Detriot Diesel and a local supplier has it in my area. This is also what I found on the boat when I bought it. Looks like I'll go that route unless anyone thinks this would be a problem?
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Try CAT ELC it works well with cast iron blocks and liners so might just do the trick
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would highly recommend going with the Detroit Diesel antifreeze specified for them and the rubber o-rings for head gaskets that the 92 series has.
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I'm a bit confused over the statement that DDC Power Cool doesn't have antifreeze. Perhaps it's because there are different versions. But Basic Power Cool does have antifreeze. Here is a list of the DDC recommended coolants for a 92. Note the first three items have antifreeze and the last two do not.

With Antifreeze

Preferred Coolant-DDC Power Cool-Ethylene Glycol and Water + Corrosion Inhibitors

Commercial Equivalent of DDC Power Cool-Fully Formulated TMC RP-329 Type A. Antifreeze and Water

Propylene Glycol and Water with Corrosion Inhibitors-Fully Formulated TMC RP-329 Type A. Antifreeze and Water

DDC Power Cool Plus-Ethylene Glycol and Water + NOAT Inhibitors

Without Antifreeze

Water+DDC Powercool 3000-Water Only + Corrosion Inhibitors

Water+DDC Powercool Plus 6000-Water only + OAT Inhibitors
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  8. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I just did this job on "my" 16-92's- coolant drain and flush the system and then change all the hoses and clamps. I had to pour the coolant into a bucket and mix with distilled water and pump it into the engine. I certainly did not buy 25 gallons of coolant from DD however; the coolant does not go in the engine straight strength.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Look at the names of the 2 that are listed under "without antifreeze" Powercool Plus 6000 is the most used brand of corrossion inhibiter for DD's and is what you'll find in 9.5 out of 10 of them.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've poured a few gallons of water in the motor and then poured the correct amount of powercool for the whole motor and topped off with water, started the motor and ran till the thermostat opened then checked the concentrate many times. I've also seen several DD factory techs do this without an issue. It doesn't hurt to premix it though. Don't you love changing all those 4" long 2" hoses that join the 2 hard pipes together everywhere that you have to pry around to get on? hehehehe.......If you use the Blue silicone hoses, you can throw the cut pieces in a bucket of 160F water for a few minutes and pretty much bend them any way you want and they'll go on easy.
  11. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

For cold climes you will be looking at Power Cool 3149, good for - 34 F.
    All mixing should take place before filling your coolant tanks, using the engine as your mixer is not recommended, even though some have observed qualified techs taking the easy way out.

Should be available through an authorized DD facility, start with Pacific Power in the Northwest.