Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander

Simple Explanations

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by JWY, Nov 10, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JWY

JWY Senior Member

The details and depth and breadth of explanations on YF is probably why most of us seek answers and opinions here. But I just read a post where the question was basically how does radar work when the range scale is changed. rcrapps gave a "simple explanation."

I thought it might be a handy idea to start a thread of similar bottom liners that might be particularly useful for those hitting the search button about a particular subject.

I will repost the OP and response on radar scale. Hope the "kiss" idea takes off.
  2. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Radar Scale

Quoted from rcrapps: There is nothing in the raydome or array that mechanically changes. When your range reduces, video memory becomes more dense. Pulse timing, tuning, gain are adjusted with every setting of the range knob.
    Ways to understand video memory; Think of wheel spokes, the further away from the hub, the more air between the spokes. Less detail at longer range. Spokes are more dense closer to the hub, more detail. When you look at long range, the rang knob reduces close range returns.
    Move the range knob in, we attenuate & display the closer targets a bit more.
    Mfgs have tried different things to help, speeding up, slowing down the scan rate, adding more spokes to their timing patterns and covering more detail in distant scans. But the above is the basic theory for them all.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Hi Judy. The more KISS the better. What I've always found is that professionals (notoriously mechanics) often head straight for the complicated answer, and ignore the simple answers. I like things boiled down to basics, and always look for the simple (and cheap) answer first. You can always get complicated (and expensive) later. So you have my vote for KISS.
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I think this quote from a Royal Navy chap about the new Navy Ships is a good one....

I think it's the flatness of the sides rather than the angle.

Imagine each side was a mirror and you were stood a long way away. There would only be one exact position from which you'd be able to see your own reflection in the surface. And if you're doing 500mph it would only be fleeting.

Compare that with a mirror ball (disco ball). You'll be able to spot a little bit of yourself in at least one of the mirrors almost all the time.

Radar works by sending out a signal and looking for the reflection. Which is why stealth craft have flat surfaces and few curves, so that most of the time the radar source does not get a reflection back.
  5. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Judy's version of NYCAP123 answer. :D