Click for Mulder Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Cross

what's this crane capacity ?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by firedreamer, Nov 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. firedreamer

firedreamer New Member

Anybody have a guess as to what the lift capacity might be for this crane? Its on a 1987 42ft aft cabin Californian has a 1500# winch but that was a aftermarket and fairly new winch some body else put on. I am looking to lift as much as 400-500pounds if possible but I have no idea what this one will do safely. It bolts down onto the sundeck floor. It does not go down through it . I can take and post more pics if needed. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

500# is about 2 really big guys weight, grab a couple and see what happens...not over water or the dock ..lol...
  3. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

At the time of those boats (1987), an Avon Rib at 10' with a small outboard of less than 15hp was "state of the art". I imagine that this deck mount crane would not be appropriate for anything over 250 lbs. regardless of the winch capacity.

A standpipe from the sundeck floor to hardtop would improve things, but then would be a daily obstacle on one of your main living spaces......
  4. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

That arm won't support more than about 200# at the most.
    The other issue you need to look into is the max weight you can put on the hard top. I would not want to be sitting under that thing with a 500# dinghy on it. Check for a name plate up on the rear of the bridge. If its not there give the mfg. a call. These set ups were designed for 8-9' dinghy's with maybe a 9.9 on the back. Not the 500# consoled version your thinking of.
  5. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

I do see the standpipe in the picture now, but I would agree that we have about a 200 - 250lb set-up. The manufacturer is no longer in business, so the risk is all on the OP.......
  6. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

For clarification's sake, when I refer to the name plate on the bridge, I'm talking about the aft deck "roof" not the crane. There is usually a load limit plate for what can be safely placed on the top of these .
    PacBlue as you stated back in '87 no one had a dinghy that weighed more than what you described. This type of setup is just not meant for the new type of "high end" dinghy's we enjoy today.
    One other point I'm concerned about is even if it would hold the weight, I'd be very concerned about adding that much weight that high up, you really change the COG. In bad weather that could be a problem.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

There are still options within those weight limitations. I've both known and read many people who still believe tenders or dinghy's should all be rowed. Many with those thoughts are loopers. Then there are small portable outboards. A small Zodiac is under 100 pounds. a small outboard under 50 pounds. Oars even less. A lot depends on use. But something along these lines is what your boat and lift were designed for. For just short calm water use these dinghies work great.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Time for a real engineer to get involved.

Certainly you do not want to guess at it. Take the liability and go with a strangers opinion (they are probably rite anyway), cut yourself short and TRY to be safe or extend more effort & time than what the davit is suppose to help you with.
    Involve an engineer or surveyor. Maybe a simple modification can lift and support what you want, maybe over a few pounds is not safe. But when a prof answers your questions face to face with papers in hand, You can sleep at night and trust it will be up there in the morning.
  9. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

The OP has posted this same query on another site. He apparently doesn't plan on putting a dinghy on the top of the aft deck. (Silly us) He would like to use the crane to hoist a motorcycle onto the aftdeck? Not sure how ? But I'm pretty sure I read it right.
  10. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Then he might want to go to a scooter or a bicycle would be even safer.
  11. firedreamer

firedreamer New Member

yup a motorcycle

Your right MBevins, I am looking to get a little bigger scooter or maybe even a sm to med motorcycle and load it through the side doors. I have a 200# 150cc scooter right now but would like the option of my wife riding on something with me the crane lifts the scooter pretty easy it seems and have had it over a year now I was also using it to lift a 10' Livingston onto the roof of the sundeck but I have put that off the swim step now as i didn't like either the weight or the vision blocking effects of having it up there. heres what i have right now :) Oh ya we also have a couple of bicycles as well

Attached Files:

• 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      56.6 KB
      Views:
  12. Wl3175

Wl3175 Member

We had something similar on our Huckins and it could only lift approx 250 lbs