Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service

Cat C 30 3412 Price

Discussion in 'Engines' started by rmjranch, Oct 23, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. rmjranch

rmjranch Member

Looking to buy a boat that has Cat C30, 3412, 1450 HP engines. They were installed in 2004. What approximately would those engine have cost, without installation, in 2004? What would a similar engine cost today, without installation?
    Thanking you in advance.
  2. dsharp

dsharp Senior Member

Ocean Marine shows a price of 85k for remanned and 160k new. I assume that's bobtail price.
  3. rmjranch

rmjranch Member

Cat

Sorry What does Bobtail mean?
    Thanks
  4. franzmerenda

franzmerenda Senior Member

Engine only, no gear ;)
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Not sure the C30 is the same as a 3412. I asked this a while ago and was told a bunch of different lines. When the dust (bs) settled, I understood it was a different engine. Still no expert on Cat stuff.
    You looking at bad engines or just trying to figure a value?
    ,rc
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The C30 is based off of the 3412 and is the same block/ heads etc......The C32, is a totally different engine and animal altogether.
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I thought it was but gave in. I'm not a CAT expert.
    Thanks.

,rc
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Still curious on this?
    If your looking at a ship to purchase, I would hope a surveyor has looked at the engines and gears. Any failures or problems noted causing your inquiry?
    Can you comment on any issues or recommendations from the surveyors?

Inquiring mind thing...
  9. rmjranch

rmjranch Member

Engines

The engines on the boat, I am looking to buy, were replaced. I was trying to get an idea of what the total refit cost. I had no idea what a new engine would cost. Of course I will have a complete survey. I just bought a $3,000 Cat computer, so my mechanic can go thru my engines. If I go for the other boat , he can use it for the survey. Really a great piece of equipment but not inexpensive
  10. karo1776

karo1776 Senior Member

This may or may not help... I have a couple used 3412s which I will trade for a couple new C32s... if you pay for the cost of the swap too... that's a joke don't take seriously!

Anyway, I would replace your engines with the newer models while you are at the problem. And, buy them new. Why is the cost of the instal is very much a large part of the changeover particularly if they are not accessible throughout the deck.

You might want to check out this thread and video... it shows the process.. The gentleman having it done replaced 3412s will the C32s the 3412s had hardly any hours but the owner was a CAT dealer and wanted to upgrade. Why buy the engines new or as authorized rebuilt/remanufactured is to know what you are getting is good and the benefit of a real warrantee is important (CAT cannot comment on others). Any other type of purchase is only on say so...

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/20833-cat-engine-re-power-video-love.html