Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

Charting / Plotter Software for PCs

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by CaptGDunz, Oct 13, 2013.

1. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

I just purchased a new laptop (before I HAD to purchase a new laptop) the old Dell has too much sea time and dodged a few to many bullets. I have been using Offshore Navigator for years. For the new lap top I just purchased software, complete with all US Charts, from Cruisingservices.net. The new laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive so I purchased the program / charts on a flash drive for $44.95 I also purchased their compatible GPS unit. Total cost for everything, $124.95. If you have a DVD drive and a GPS unit they offer the program complete with all US Charts for only $19.95. So far I am pleased with the ease of use with regard to planning routes. One great option is you can open multiple routes and it connects them. I am taking a boat from the NE to the west coast of Florida later this week so it will get a real test. Regardless of the electronics on board I always bring my own and record all of my trips. I think this system is a great value. Just wanted to pass it on.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Would you say that it's better than the Navionics app?
  3. CaptGDunz

CaptGDunz Member

I haven't used the navionics app. I have Inavx on my I phone.
  4. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Do you know if they supply vector charts as well as raster?
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

For a PC I really like polar navy. Easy to use charts are quilted seamlessly and use real raster noaa charts (free). I put thousands of miles on it with a Bluetooth GPS and it never let me down.

About a year ago my laptop failed and I switched to an iPad. Love it... With a lifeproof case it is waterproof to 6' so I can bring it in the tender if I need to check depths in tricky spots marking the route then bringing it back to the helm. These tracks can then be named and saved.

I have tried a number of app on both iPhone and iPad but really like the garmin bluechart apps as it includes active captain data and use mostly explorer charts for the Bahamas. Very accurate!

I've used inavx but the chart selection is very clumsy.
  6. Beau

Beau Senior Member

For the rec boater like me the Navionic's app on my IPad is a terrific backup on the bridge. My wife loves it because she doesn't have to sit in a helm chair to back me up. Great for plotting the next day's adventure while I serve her cocktails in the cabin....
  7. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I've been using Captain Voyager for many many years now on a laptop and love it. Never afraid of looking at new ways however so thanks for the thumbs up on your choice.
  8. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Another thumbs up for Polar Navy.