Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay

Dinghy launch and retrieval

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by olderboater, Sep 16, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I noticed in the Dashew write up, a couple of comments. First, they said the most dangerous thing one normally does on a yacht in the ocean is the launch and retrieval of the dinghy. Second, they were working on finding a new, better way.

I would love to hear comments regarding systems people have found good and those bad, on bridge versus deck versus garage, and any other dinghy launching and retrieving tips or advice. Also how the various methods and placements are from a practical standpoint.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

A system will require some pretty calm waters to launch or retrieve safely... Forget doing that in the ocean!

Personally I hate having the tender on a platform. It is always in the way and if you don't need to launch it the platform is almost useless. At th dock, the lines rub on the cover, etc. it s a compromise I m willing to make on a small boat (under 50) but above that, I prefer the tender on top.

Garage? I guess it s a compromise but it cuts space in the ER or Laz. I guess a on an express style boat it s better option than having it on the platform.

Also, I have never been able to launch or retrieve a tender off an hydraulic platform without getting my feet wet guiding the **** thing on or off the chocks. Add even minimal chop and its down right dangerous.

I Ike having the tender up top with a davit. I takes a couple of minutes to launch and retrieve and if rigged properly you can do it alone. What I do on the tender is rig a line from the bow to stern cleat, about 25' long. About 6' from each end, I tie loops which i can put over the boat stern cleat to keep the tender in place. From the top deck, I have a line long enough to reach the dinghy with a carabiner. This line allows me to grab the line on the tender and use it as control line, from the top, with no help and no need for a boat hook.

We launch both the 15' tender and the jet ski quite a bit and sometimes my crew is busy with guests so I need to be able to do it alone and quickly.

As to safety I regularly inspect the lifting harness and replace it every few years. Even then, I had a nasty surprise a few weeks ago when the welded round ring which links all three cables to the davit hook failed. Luckily the tender was just a couple feet off the water. I replaced it with an oversize shackle and would never ever trust one of these rings...
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

The different options on the retrieval of a dinghy are limited and may have been fully investigated.
    The research now should be on the tender. There are a lot more design options that have not been trialled.
    After regularly lifting a 13' Boston Whaler onto the upper deck of my last boat, in choppy conditions, I wondered why there had been so little research done to date on a boat that is specifically
    designed to be only, and, all the things a tender needs to be.
    The boats available today are almost generic, chosen simply by right size, weight etc. and the boats that have been built solely to act as tenders are for large yachts, usually cosmetically similar to the yacht it serves or chosen as a fishing, transport vessel.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Pascal - Great Information. The one option I did leave off the list was a tender on the swim platform. I've seen some swim platforms extended just for that.

Kafue - Your point on tenders themselves is well made. As to boats designed as tenders, that seems mostly to be RIBS. I like some of the Jet tenders but I don't have the experience of others who strongly recommend against them, due to maintenance and other issues. Obviously when they are nearly new as mine are you don't encounter the problems yet. With the Riva garages, they are pretty well dictated.