Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder

IPS VS Shafts

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Minas, Sep 3, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Minas

Minas New Member

I would appreciate your experience with Pods for a planing boat 40-50 ft.
    Shafts or pods? Which is best in terms of sea-keeping, fuel economy, stability, safety?
    thank you all!
    Minas
  2. captaintilt

captaintilt Senior Member

IPS vs. Shafts

What type of boat are you looking at (size, weight, engine size, etc.)

Where are you going to be cruising at?
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

4. kkreicker1

kkreicker1 Senior Member

Minas,

On my current build I went with the "pod" drive system. I felt that it would be a bit easier for my to run my 68' by my self. I also LOVE the fact that I was able to get more sq footage in the second level. Pod drives for me just made better sense.

Keith
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Pods have it in the categories you mentioned, but they're more costly, more maintenance, more trouble if you hit bottom and harder to find people who know how to work on them. It's also unlikely that you'll be able to retrofit them on a boat. With a new purchase, and assuming money is no object and I had the people that knew how to work on them, I'd go with pods. They're the future.
  6. captaintilt

IPS vs. Shafts

Keith,

Good point, and can't wait to see the boat!

Jordan
  7. Minas

Minas New Member

thanks for your comments. I see the advantages of IPS/ZEUS in new builds.
    What about purchasing a used boat with IPS/ZEUS?
    Should I check something specifically?
    Minas
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Maintenance records, and where the boat is stored. Is the boat stored where they know how to work on IPS. Also, if you're dealing with the owner, act dumb and ask how do you check the oil on these. That'll give you a hint if he looks for problems or just gets things fixed after they break down. Too many people don't visit their engine rooms. You can also check with the manufacturer about any service bullitins that may have been issue so you can compare that with service records.
  9. captaintilt

Couldn't agree with NYCAP123 anymore. Especially on Zeus boats, make sure you get all service records, and ask the owner to show you where each type of oil goes, and how to check it. I've seen a lot of people use the wrong oil for the transmission and lower unit. YIKES!. Also, if going with a Zeus boat, make sure their is a trained technician around the area that can work on it in case you run into some issues. It's a great system, and very user friendly, but I have seen where it has been difficult to find technicians to work on them.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I wouldn't necessarily say they're more trouble if you hit bottom. They're designed to break away cleanly and just sheer 6 bolts off, and I have seen them do this. Needing only 6 new breakaway bolts and bolt them right back on......This is providing that you can find the drive once it has sheered off, but usually it's shallow enough you can't miss it. On a conventional boat you're replacing struts, rudders, shafts, props etc.....
  11. Minas

Minas New Member

Your boat?

dear captaintilt
    is it the boat on the photo your sunseeker predator?
    Happy with that? How does she behave in rough waters?
  12. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Yes & no. All depends where, how hard and what you hit with either. A prop can be replace in the water or on a short haul. But if you're talking shaft, struts, rudders it's a whole different story. If you damage the casing on a pod you'll be waiting awhile. Also, if you're towed in after hitting a deadhead or such who knows where that pod is. So you're dealing with divers, and then you need people that know how to work on them. Like I said though, all in all I'd go with the pod. Too many advantages to ignore.