Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for JetForums

Electric PWC

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Blusky, Sep 2, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blusky

Blusky New Member

Hello, I would like to develop a project of a jet ski driven by batteries, electric PWC. Dimensions of such PWC are: 3,40x1,25x1,20 meters.

The typical power of a PWC is about 150 hp (112 kW). The problem I find mainly is to achieve this power to the limitation of space, weight and flotation and stability problems, and mainly budget. I also want to set as the design basis a speed of 70-90 km/h (40-50 knots).

So I'm considering reducing power about 35 kW (50 hp). Therefore:
    Do you think that would be enough power?

For reaching targets marked, can be redefined impeller or propeller design, with the same power of 35 kW to reach this speed?

Any other recomendation, comment or advice is very appreciated.

Thank you very much.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi, your problem will be speed vs range. Google "Electric PWC" and try to figure out how much money is already spent on this idea..?

I would wait until we have electric Formula One racing and use their technology...
  3. Blusky

Blusky New Member

Hi, there is one reference or company designing Electric PWC, but I wanted to make the design by myself in Spain, as you know, with serious economic problems and where innovation is very important.

When I was studing in detail my case, and I have serious doubts about the minimum power output that I would need. According to your experience, what is the minimum power output that I would need to reach my objectives?

Thank you for your comment.
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I think Carl (YachtForums adm) can tell you something on this, but the main problem is batteries and you have to decide if it is speed or range you want to achieve. Eventually both motors and batteries will be improved, but don´t be surprised if SeaDoo and the other brands will be your competition then...
  5. Lowtech

Lowtech New Member

Most modern pwcs have over 250hp, even yamaha joined the fight this year with the new svho engine, so even if electric engines are stronger i dont think it has any chance of being a option.

How do you mean? I think its pretty much as good as it gets as racing already is trying to get every last mph out of the machines, and the aftermarket is huge with the latest designs and so on.

But many before you have had the same idea and there already is a few working machines but the huge price (custom made for a superyacht), low performance and range will be a problem for the general public.

Might work for a yacht if you just want to play around for a few min but many want to be out for hours at a time.

Electric Waverunner GTElectric 45 - YouTube
  6. Blusky

Blusky New Member

Hi Lowtech,

Talking with a university department in Naval Engineering in Spain, I could not get support for the project, and they told me that 35 kW would be very low in Power for PWC. Studying the case by myself (I am studying Chemical Engineering, specialty in Energy), I was wondering if with this power, it could be enough to fulfill the feasibility of the project.

I was reading also that, adjusting the design of the propeller/impeller, the PWC could get enough speed, even with power much lower than 150 HP, so that, I could get enough speed with a power output of 35 kW (50 HP aprox).

Do you think is it right?

7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

most entry level standard PWC do not put out 250hp and the 125 or 150 hp is plenty for up to three people. So if you set to design one for a single passenger, or maybe 2 smaller ones like an adult and child, you will get by with a lot less power. It all depends on the goals you are trying to achieve.

Remove the 70 kg/ 160 lbs third passengers and the fairly heavy engine, plus 50 kg / 120 full tank and you have quiet a bit amount of space/weight for batteries.
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

This isn't the right forum for this topic.

Most of my work was limited to hull design and pump development for Bombardier, although I did a viability study on electric propulsion for Yamaha about 10 years ago.

Both Yamaha and Bombardier have already developed proof of concept vehicles.
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Pumps thrive on torque, therefore electric motors make natural bilge-fellows. There are pump technologies, such as dual stage or variable vane designs that have been historically cost prohibitive for production. Taking traditional powerplants out of the equation and replacing them an electric motor could make new waterjet technologies economically feasible.

Again, this isn't the right place for your question. This is a YACHT forum. Please search the net for more topic-specific forums. This thread is being closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.