Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta

Prop shop Ft. Lauderdale Area

Discussion in 'Props, Shafts & Seals' started by Capt Bill11, Aug 20, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

The outboards on the tender we tow, 3-300hp Evinrudes, are not proped correctly and I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation for a good prop shop that I could work with to get them set up correctly?

Thanks
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is a large shop on hy 84 , south bank, just west of I-95, Almost across the hy from Cable Marine.
    I can not remember their name. They did great work for us until I came back north a few years ago.
    Maybe someone here can second them and give up a name and number for both of us.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I use Frank and Jimmy's Prop shop in Fort Lauderdale, they've been there forever and are good to deal with. The other poster mentioned Lauderdale Propellor and they are good also. What are your prop sizes/type and what rpm's are you getting WOT with a normal load?

If they're s/s you can usually only pitch them 1" either direction, aluminum can usually be pitched 3" either way.
  4. rgsuspsa

rgsuspsa Member

Prop shop in Ft. Lauderdale

A second recommendation for Frank & Jimmy's. Ask for Robert Martin, he heads up the service facility and is very capable.
  5. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

I had an issue when F&J did my props. I spun the hubs on a Yamaha 225 four days after I got the prop back. They took good care of me and I had the prop back the next day. They get my vote!!!
  6. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

7. Capt Bill11

The engines currently are short by over 1000 rpms from their rated max rpm. They max out at 4300 or so and they should turn up to as much as 6000 rpm. So I know will need new props. Evinrude has some 4 blade SS props that sound like what I'm looking for. They are designed for heavy boats that are not looking for max top speed. But a lower on plane rpm and good mileage. The boat the outboards are on is a 15,000+ pound Intrepid 377 cutty cabin.

I just need to find a place that is willing to let us try out different props till we get the right ones.

I'll try F&Js and Lauderdale Prop. I have heard good things about a shop called PropGods. But I can not find them when I search on the internet for them.
  8. ddw1668

ddw1668 Senior Member

My money (lots of it:eek:) is on F&J. They redid my 5 blades after another local shop screwed them up. Good job.:D
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Actually, that being said, Frank and Jimmies would have tons of used props for large outboards laying around. But, I'd talk to Intrepid as they too should have plenty of props and might have some more insight and proper pitch.

I find it odd that someone would prop a boat this way. Was their a major weight gain to the boat? Has it always only made 4300rpms? My next question, are you sure that something is not wrong with 1 of the motors making power and the other 2 engines are carrying it up on plane? I would see what each motor turns up to WOT and see if you're getting the same rpm on each engine. What prop size are you running now? Becuase from the sounds of it, you're off by at least 4" pitch.
  10. Capt Bill11

3-4 pitch sizes off was my guess too. Plus perhaps prop size as well.

The Intrepid came with the boat I just took over running a couple of months ago. And those are things I will be looking at before I change props. Just have not had much time on the Intrepid what with all the projects I have going on the big boat.

Like remodeling the crews quarters and crews head, creating a third crew stateroom out of a crews galley, ripping out the three old fiberglass built in guest showers and redoing them in tile & tiling the head floors, adding a TNT lift, adding underwater lights, rebuilding one CAT, removing & replacing the exhaust systems less the mufflers for both engines, replacing or repairing all the long neglected routine maintenance items (I found 3 brand new 24v pumps wired into 12v circuits !?), replacing both anchor chains, getting the bow thruster rebuilt, installing two new water makers, adding a very large rigid frame bimini with lights, having a wet bar/liquor storage console with icemaker & a fridge built and installed in the saloon, running power & water & drains to the new wet bar, replacing all the old exterior beverage coolers, replacing the carpet, outfitting & mounting a new small tender on the TNT, replacing all three chillers & replacing & adding air handlers, a two and a half week yard period, overseeing the installation of all new touch screen electronics, etc., etc., etc. :)

So while we have done some work on the Intrepid, I'm just getting around to seeing how it runs. And the owner has not used it much since it was shipped up from the VIs a few months ago after he bought the boats. So he does not know how it did or is supposed to run.