Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Burger

6.5 kohler needs reved by hand to start

Discussion in 'Generators' started by dmoran, Aug 17, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dmoran

dmoran New Member

Kohler 6.5 esz 1998 won't start unless I manually goose throttle any suggestions? pain to crawl in bilge every time to start otherwise running perfect
  2. rgsuspsa

rgsuspsa Member

6.5 Kohler Generator

Doran: My take on the subject is the problem may lie with the throttle linkage to the governor (throttle) control, and not with the engine itself. Suggest determining whether the throttle linkage is in fact consistently moving the governor linkage prior to engine starting when the throttle handle is activated.
  3. garyohv

garyohv New Member

Check Electric Choke

If your generator is the same as a 6.5CZ, then you have an electric choke (solinoid) controlled by a ThermoSwitch and Hot Choke Board. If inoperative, it may not allow the choke to reset (close) as required when starting. When you manually move your throttle lever, you may be allowing the choke to reset. Check that the choke plate closes when starting. The choke plate is right after the air filter attached to a solinoid. Also check elec. connection.
  4. dmoran

dmoran New Member

The choke seems to be functioning and also the governor - throttle linkage,I have to rev it a little to get the K1 relay to light which means creating 110 voltage