Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Bow thruster

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 101BUCKSHOT, Aug 5, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 101BUCKSHOT

101BUCKSHOT New Member

Any suggeston on having bow thruster installed on 03 50 viking express,port canaveral,fl
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Go for it if it won't break the bank
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Are you looking for a recommendation of a yard, a brand or whether to do it. For the first you're probably in the best position to figure that out, for the second we've had a couple of threads on that. Check Search. For the third, money well spent, and it will come back to you at resale time (if not in dollars, in being the boat chosen over the competition). As for needing it with that boat, No, but it's nice to have when the wind or current doesn't co-operate or your mate's arms are too short to reach that piling from the bow. They're also good in a soft grounding when your props are in the sand and you can use it to rotate the boat off.
  4. 101BUCKSHOT

101BUCKSHOT New Member

Going to add the bow thruster,jus looking for reliable brand,and a reliable company for the install in the port canaveral area,possible florida thrusters,has anyone had any experience with them
  5. captbluewater

captbluewater New Member

Florida Bow Thrusters are the best . They installed one for me on 68 Hatteras. When the job was done it looked like it had been factory done. About 3 days to install.
  6. 101BUCKSHOT

101BUCKSHOT New Member

Thanks, captbluewater,needed jus a little reinforcement before making that decision,anyone else with any recommendations on bow thrusters in central Florida area
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

We installed Side Power over the winter and I just used it, probably for the 4th time, and it stuck on. Even the off switch didn't work.:eek: Thankfully we have the breaker right there and shut it that way. DK what the problem is yet, but I'm not happy.
  8. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

X2 on Florida Bow Thrusters. I've seen a few examples of their work and they were superb. Great after the sale service, no matter how old your unit is. I have an old Vetus "Bow Propellor" on my Hatteras (came with boat from a PO, I didn't buy it from FBT) and they very patiently spent all the time necessary on the phone walking me through how to trouble shoot it. Really nice people.
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Which model Side Power Thruster stuck on? Did you find the source of the problem? I'm getting ready to install a Side Power unit so very interested in what happened here. Thanks.
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't recall the model off hand. The tech is supposed to on board today. I should have word in a couple of days and will advise.
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Either the joystick control or the solenoid for it. I've had issues with their joystick and control pads.....especially in a wet location.
  12. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I hope I didn't make a mastake buying a Side Power. I thought these were some of the better units out there?
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All dry in the wheelhouse, but I think you're on target anyway.
  14. Marc101

Marc101 New Member

Vetus all the way
    If you can get the hydraulic one its strong and can go on for hrs if you want to hold your position