Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno Click for JetForums

3M 5200 use and abuse

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by eloyex, Jul 31, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. eloyex

eloyex Member

i don't want to make this post too large ...

just want to point to new or young people just entering the world of yachts and larger boats , that famous and omnipresent 3M 5200 is NOT for all the applications and DIY chores in your boat.

Some people assume 5200 is for ANY application that need a sealant.
    Actually, with years, i found that 5200 is one of the LESS useful products you need in a boat, specially for DIY's ....

Don't missunderstand me ... 5200 is great !!! great adhesion , good sealant, very powerful bonding, but no needed for most of the chores ..

Also, silicon is NOT a very adequated product either ... this is nice perhaps for a tub in your house, but also, silicon left a horrible residue, is not compatible with many materials, get aged fast , mildew, is nOT sun resistant , etc etc etc ... Silicon and 5200 are in the very extremes of the line ... 5200 bond is almost indestructible in many cases, this is highly UNDESIRABLE , specially if you have to replace or change the part.

I humbly recommend the use of 3M 4000, that is metal to plastic bond capable (unlike the 5200 !!!) , is more flexible, dont age too much, is VERY flexible and has some adherence properties.

Think of 3M 4000 as a 5200 less extreme, more material-compatible, less powerful, more flexible, and very practical. 3M 4000 is perfect substitute to Silicon and is great for most of your DIY's jobs .... can be used over and under water too ... great for hatches and most of the jobs. Great for gasketing. Stay flexible for decades.

5200 is NEITHER good for windshields !!!! Neither for metals !!!
    basically 5200 is great in a manufacturing process for permanent attachments, but most of DIY need something more flexible and rational as 3M 4000 or equiv. (i am not related to 3M or sell 3M at all )

excuse my so horrible english ...

eloy/miami
    :p
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I guess you have just had a battle removing something stuck on with 5200.
  3. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

The application of heat to 5200 helps in removal.
    Heat may not be good when working with glass tho.
  4. eloyex

eloyex Member

another "fantasy" related to 5200 is that can be used on any KIND of material .. actually 3M is limited to few materials. Some as Glass, plastics, ABS , metals, and others are not very good friends of 5200. There is a GREAT article on BOAT-US magazine about all this stuff ..........
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Caulk Question

What sealant would you recommend for the livewell glass in my Cabo. The glass recently came out (by foot pressure accidently) and I need to reseal it. Was going to use Boat Life Caulk or 3m 4200 but wanted some opinions.
    Thanks
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Use life-seal, not life-caulk. Easy to work with and approved to use with plexi and lexan. Check into having a new piece of plexi cut as it's easier for it to adhere than it is to try to clean your old plexi without scratching it and damaging it.
  7. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    What would be your advice on sealing glass side windows on a sportfish?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sikaflex is used by a lot of the manufacturers. Make sure to use their primer and activater and such.
  9. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Capt J,
    Thanks I meant Life seal. The livewell window is actually glass not plexiglass.
    Thanks, Skip
  10. eloyex

eloyex Member

i would not use 5200. I repeat, is great ,but not for everything on a boat.
    i would like guys,to check this page ....

Sudbury Products

they even have a highly liquid/penetrant sealer for small cracks.

windows need kind of special sealers . (expansion, compressions, chemicals, lot of sun, bedding, etc)

i think 3M also has a great product, but cant remember the name.
    check this webpage . you can email a nice guy called john thompson that always answers and make nice recommendations.

hope it helps !!!!!!
    bye .. eloy :)