Click for Westport Click for Cross Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Walker

Raritan Vacu Flush Heads

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, Jul 29, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

My two heads are 8 years old and have never given me any problems although this year it seems they are taking longer to pump up. Also once or twice every 6 hrs one of the vac pumps starts pumping for a short time. It is not the seal in the bowl as it is holding the water fine. What do I need to replace?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The duct bills. They're relatively inexpensive and they go on the pump on the intake and exhaust side of the vaccuum pump. They're relatively easy to change albeit a messy job, the best way to change them is to shut off your freshwater supply, press the foot pedal down for about 10 seconds, with a dry bowl, then 30 seconds later shut off power to the heads, and press the pedal down again until all of the vaccuum is gone. Look for a model # on the vaccuum pump, and order 2 sets for each pump. It's also wise to have a spare set on board. You probably have the 1.5" duct bills from sealand, but order them by model #, chances are someone local has them.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I didn't know Raritan made any VF. Start with the duck bills... In some installations it can be painless, in others it can be a mess... It depends... If you have a vac pump and separate vac tank, and if the pump is higher than the hoses, or if you can unscrew the pump and raise it so it s higher than the hoses, then replacing the DB is the painless and pretty clean job.

On the other hand, if the builder located the pump below the tank, and with an uphill run to the holding tank,l be ready for a big mess.

DBs are usually good for 5 to 7 years, so it s probably time.
  4. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Really, that's not too bad. I usually wait until it cycles every 30 minutes or so before replacing.
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

My mistake Pascal they are Sea Land. I ordered 8 duck bills for the two heads. The vac pump is higher than the tank and the hoses flow downhill so I guess that's good. Is their a diagram anywhere that shows how to replace these? My understanding is to remove the hose and replace the duck bill and they must face in a certain direction. Knowing its going to be messy is it relatively easy?
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It s really easy. If you have separate tank and pump, unclamp the hose on each side of the pump. Pull them off (rags under always help catch drips). Then unscrew the fittings on each is of the pump and pull the two DB on each side. Clean the flange and inside the fittings (use a knife or screwdriver to loosen calcium) then re assemble with the new DBs

I use liquid soap on DB to avoid pinching them when tightening the fittings. Don't overtighten as it will pinch the DB

With good access it s a 15 minute job...

If you have the combo pump / tank aka vacuum generator where the pump sits on top of the square tank, it s pretty much the same although instead of clamps on both side, the inlet from the tank uses a dip tube with a PVC screw on fittings. Down break it or you ll have to order a new one, been there, done that :)
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Unless

Usually not hard to work on the pump or DBs, Unless some rocket scientist installed it with rigid PVC pipe, short lengths of Sani hose & outside the stb main engine.
    Hopefully somebody thought about servicing your pump and you have some room.
  8. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Sea Land vacuum 506 head

Okay changed the 8 DB yesterday on the two heads. As stated pretty straight forward and easy job if there is plenty of room. Unfortunately one location was difficult and couldn't get to a couple of bolts on the vacuum pump. Removed the whole unit and was able to complete. Not a job I want to do regularly but I've had worse.
    Thanks for the help.
    Skip